As we reported back in March, the second season of Stargate Universe is coming to DVD this spring (Region 1 – North America). MGM and Twentieth-Century Fox Home Entertainment officially announced the release today, bumping up the release date from the previously reported date of June 7 to May 31! That means you’ll be able to own the final 20 episodes of SGU just 22 days after the last episode airs on Syfy Channel.
Pre-order the 5-disc set now at Amazon.com to lock in the current discount price of $32.99 (34 percent off, subject to change) and support GateWorld with your purchase!
The studio isn’t planning a Blu-ray release in the U.S. at this stage — at least not that it has announced yet. It’s certainly possible that it may come later, like the recently announced Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series — which comes two years after the DVD edition (story).
Once again, that list of bonus features includes:
- Robert Carlyle Directs
- Andy Mikita Directs
- Eli’s Mom Comes on Board
- Brian J. Smith’s First Fight
- Crashing a Shuttle
- The Seed Ship with Joe Mallozzi
- Saying Goodbye to Sgt. Riley
- Lou Diamond Phillips on Guest Stars
- Lt. Scott Gets Hit By A Car
- Inside “Cloverdale” with Brad Wright
- How to Get Sucked Into Space
- SGU Welcomes You to New Mexico’s Bisti Badlands
- Deconstructing Destiny
- A Day in the Life of Jamil Walker Smith
- Transplant Day
- Sitting Down with Mike Dopud
- Bringing the Bridge to Life
- Louis Ferreira vs. Colonel Young
- Pitches: A Journey of Friendship and Discovery
- Behind the Season 2 Finale – “Gauntlet”
Video is presented in anamorphic widescreen, and audio in English – 5.1 Dolby Digital and Spanish – Dolby Digital. The release also includes English and Spanish subtitles.
In the United Kingdom Season Two will be available on both DVD (£49.99) and Blu-ray (£59.99), indicating that the lack of a high-def release in the U.S. is probably a strategic decision for that market, rather than the studio’s lack of resolve in supporting the Blu-ray format.
The Complete Final Season will be available in the U.K. on July 4.
NEXT: The full press release