‘You have already taken the first steps …’
With the start of September the Stargate Rewatch blazes on into Stargate SG-1 Season Two. We’re watching all 17 seasons of Stargate as a massive fan community event — and it’s not too late for you to join!
The Rewatch continues at the reasonable pace of one season each month, or about five episodes per week. Some fans are rapidly watching fast and furious, while others are taking it slow and enjoying one episode every weeknight after work or school. You could also enjoy a mini-marathon of five episodes each weekend. Read more about the Rewatch and how you can participate. Remember to be creative with your Rewatch, and e-mail us or tweet us to let us know what your creative outlet is!
SG-1 Season Two first aired on Showtime in the U.S. in 1998-1999. After delivering a solid first year of storytelling, the time had come to up the ante and to expand on the mythology. SG-1 was exploring the galaxy, making new friends (and enemies) nearly every week … and, for the first time, even traveling through time. Captain Samantha Carter learned first-hand what it meant to play host to a Goa’uld symbiote, and the team discovered a fifth column of Goa’uld fighting against the evil System Lords: the Tok’ra.
Things to watch for:
- After sending teams through for over a year, General Hammond makes his first trip through the Stargate.
- Jack hints at a past addiction.
- Sam’s experience with the Tok’ra Jolinar leaves her with some unique abilities.
- The second appearance of Teal’c’s wife, Drey’auc, comes with a casting change. (The original actress, Salli Richardson-Whitfield, would go on to co-star on Eureka.)
- A cast member from the original feature film makes his first SG-1 debut!
- Colleen Rennison, who plays young Ally in “Bane,” would go on to play Cassandra when the role was recast in Season Five.
- Jack is put out of commission early on in “Spirits” — done to allow Richard Dean Anderson to take time off for the birth of his daughter.
- Before this season is over, the big-bad for the first half of Season Three will be introduced.
- Forum: Official discussion threads for every episode! (The main thread for the Rewatch project is here.)
- Podcast: Darren and David discuss all of Season Two. (If this is your first time watching, beware of thorough spoilers!)
- Episode Guide: Our handy guide to every episode of Season Two
- Gallery: Production photos
- Gallery: Thousands of high-quality screen captures
Where to Watch?
- Amazon: Buy Season Two on DVD (and support GateWorld)!
- Amazon: Download Season Two episodes
- iTunes: Download Season Two episodes
- Netflix: Online viewing for $7.99 per month
We’re taking your nominations for the following categories for the SG-1 Season Two Awards. Use this forum thread if you want your nominations to count. One nomination for each category per person, please. (All nominations must be from Season Two and Season Two only!)
- Best Episode (Season Two)
- Best Jack Moment
- Best Daniel Moment
- Best Sam Moment
- Best Teal’c Moment
- Best Hammond Moment
- Best Team Moment
- Best Alien Race
- Best Guest Star (based on one specific episode)
Those “moments” can be a single moment, a line of dialogue, a scene, or even a full episode’s storyline.
Remember: The point of the Rewatch is not just to watch everything again, but to watch it together as a fan community! So post your thoughts on your blog, on Twitter (hastag: #SGRewatch), Facebook, or over at GateWorld Forum. Write a new piece of fanfic to go along with what you’re watching, create a new piece of art, chat it up on your podcast — whatever your creative outlet is! Be sure to post a link so we can see it and share it with other Stargate fans.
Come back in two weeks to cast your ballot for the Season Two Awards!