First Aired: March 7, 2008
In the SGA fourth season finale Sheppard returns to Atlantis after a mission and finds the city abandoned, all systems dead — and instead of ocean, sand dunes as far as the eye can see.
It’s time-twisty, alternate reality fun … with a side of crotchety old McKay!
“The Last Man” Facts:
- In the averted, alternate reality Samantha Carter is given command of the newest Daedalus-class battlecruiser — the Phoenix. In our own reality Sam also gets the same ship, though it is christened the George Hammond instead (“Enemy at the Gate”).
- Although Richard Woolsey (Robert Picardo) appears in command of Atlantis in the alternate future, when the episode was written and shot there were no plans yet to give him the job in the show’s fifth season.
- Actor David Hewlett’s real-life sister, Kate, makes a very brief appearance as Jeannie Miller. her character had been featured in two previous episodes.
- David stayed in character around the set for much of the day when in his old-man makeup. The makeup artistry was a significant improvement over the look at that SG-1 had the year before, when the series finale “Unending” aired.
“The Last Man” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide
- Episode Transcript
- Photo Gallery
- Screencap Gallery
- Fan Reviews
- Discussion Forum
- Season Four Podcast
- Interview with Amanda Tapping (2008)
- Interview with Kate Hewlett (2007)
- Interview with Brad Wright (2007)
Rewatch “The Last Man” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the “Last Man” discussion forum and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Each week we’re highlighting a favorite episode from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the episode with us this week and join in the fun!