1. Steve B
    Steve B
    October 29, 2014 at 9:32 pm |

I remember when the first Stargate movie came out. I was brushing it off because I was so excited for Star Trek 7. Then I eventually watched Stargate and I was like whoa. Why did I wait? LOL

2. majorsal
    majorsal
    October 29, 2014 at 11:52 pm |

i remember watching the movie and being disappointed. i liked it all the way until they actually went through the gate. then it became uninspiring and meh.

that’s why i didn’t care about watching the new series (sg1), b/c i thought the series would be as meh as the movie. but my mom wanted to watch richard dean anderson, so we watched the first ep… WOW was i impressed and hooked!!

3. ghostrider114
    ghostrider114
    October 30, 2014 at 6:27 pm |

My family was pretty hyped about it by the time it came out, a family friend was part of the VFX team (supposedly, he got to stir the tank for the vortex part of the kawoosh sequence), so we heard all sorts of hype about it, and I saw it in theaters on opening weekend. I was instantly hooked. Egyptians, aliens, Air Force, archeologists, what more could a seven year old sci-fi fan want?

4. Dawesstategate
    Dawesstategate
    October 31, 2014 at 11:19 pm |

It’s like yesterday for me,love the Idea of Star Gate the movie is still one of the best.:-)

5. btc909
    btc909
    November 2, 2014 at 2:37 am |

Never liked the movie, always thought “Children of the Gods” was far better. AKA the first two part episode of SG-1.

6. mazey
    mazey
    November 2, 2014 at 6:37 am |

i really enjoyed the movie tbh it would of been better with Richard dean Anderson though, James Spader and Micheal Shanks were so identical so he was fine in the role. a credit to Micheal Shanks portraying him so well. still id give it a 9.5/10 and i can’t wait for the new film!

7. Mr. Oragahn
    Mr. Oragahn
    November 2, 2014 at 5:04 pm |

20 years…. oh man.
    “Where were you when you first saw Stargate?”
    In the theater, with family, enjoying the movie immensely and totally blown away.

8. SilenceOz
    SilenceOz
    November 3, 2014 at 9:16 am |

@Mr Oragahn“Where were you when you first saw Stargate?”

Well I was 4 years old..

9. zzbeach
    zzbeach
    November 15, 2014 at 11:11 am |

I saw the movie six times in the theater. By the fourth time the manager, a friend of mine, let me in for free because he knew I’d blow at least $20 on concessions! I gravitated to the film because of the whole Egyptian pantheon angle.

The first time I saw the movie I sat in the fourth row and when James Spader went through the Gate I was so close it felt as if I were traveling through as well. The next day I bought the soundtrack and bought the novelization that accompanied the movie. As soon as the movie came out on VHS (yes boys and girls it was the dark ages) I bought it. Then the extended VHS version came out and I bought that. Then years later the dvd for the extended version came out and I bought that.

While I’ve enjoyed the series that followed, I’ve always thought Stargate the movie was better. But when SG1 came out I subscribed to Showtime. Once SG1 moved to Sci-Fi I cancelled Showtime.

I do hope that Devlin and Emmerich get to do the trilogy their way. I do have one request: David Arnold must be brought back to do the soundtrack. His music captured the action adventure spirit and infused it with an ancient Egyptian flare. Hopefully I won’t have wait long.