MARCH IS TIME TRAVEL MONTH!
First Aired: March 18 and 25, 2005
SG-1 travels back in time in a daring plan to steal a piece of Ancient technology from Ra, the powerful Goa’uld who ruled in ancient Egypt. But after their own timeline is changed, an alternate version of SG-1 must use the newly-discovered time ship to set things right.
Our rewatch of favorite moments in Stargate history continues! Each month we’ll pick a theme, and feature a key episode every week. Join us by watching the episode this week, and then head to GateWorld Forum (or posting below) to talk about it!
Gonna Go Back In Time …
- First, you’ll need a Stargate
- A solar flare bends the wormhole back on itself
- Or, you could just find a time-traveling Puddle Jumper
- Just don’t mess with the timeline …
- … or you might find your enemies back from the dead!
- The story is kicked off with Daniel’s encounter with Sabrina Gosling, niece of Dr. Catherine Langford (who had recently died). The character, played by actress Georgia Craig, was named after long-time Stargate journalist, author, and editor Sharon Gosling.
- The original movie villain, Ra, had only occasionally been mentioned in the early years of the show — fitting, since he was long-dead. With SG-1’s trip 5,000 years into the past we see Ra on screen for the first time in series history. (He would return for a brief cameo, without the mask, in Stargate: Continuum.)
- Robert Wisden returns in the altered timeline as Major Samuels, a recurring antagonist who hasn’t been seen on the series since the Season Two premiere.
- Another familiar face is Alessandro Juliani, who plays the ancient Egyptian Katep. You might know him better as Battlestar Galactica‘s Felix Gaeta — but before that he played the alien refugee Eliam in SG-1‘s fourth season episode “Scorched Earth.”
- The two-parter manages to restore the original timeline (… more or less), but with the addition of the S.G.C.’s possession of a powerful Zero Point Module. The Z.P.M. would go on to power Atlantis in its defense against the Wraith siege (“The Siege, Part 2”). But another piece of tech was unaccounted for: the time-traveling Puddle Jumper had been acquired by SG-1 in an earlier episode (and presumably was acquired again in the restored timeline — but it was never mentioned again.
“Moebius” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide (Part 1 – Part 2)
- Episode Transcript (Part 1 – Part 2)
- Photo Gallery (Part 1 – Part 2)
- Screencap Gallery (Part 1 – Part 2)
- Discussion Thread (Part 1 – Part 2)
- Season Eight Podcast
- Interview with Peter Deluise (2005)
- Interview with Brad Wright & Robert C. Cooper (2005)
Every month we’re featuring a new theme from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the weekly episode with us join in the fun!