Newest
Lorna Dune
Lorna Dune
23 days ago

With all due respect, this article gets rather silly at times. It’s an average episode at best and I’ve never seen anyone else say otherwise. Also, her replacement was so much better in the role. In the end, the part went to the right actor, and I’ve not encountered many people who were wondering why she’d been recast–near universally, fans seem to be glad that she was. So I can’t help but chuckle at the over-the-top hyperbole in this article.

Last edited 23 days ago by Lorna Dune
Clint Corrie
Clint Corrie
22 days ago
Reply to  Darren

Sorry Darren, Lorna hit the nail on the head with her comment. Most of the fans where I come from thought Steens performance was inferior.

Craig
Craig
22 days ago
Reply to  Darren

From the first episode Torri played, I found her Weir was significantly superior to Jessica (comparing first episode to first episode). I am not saying Jessica was bad, but it did not hit me as caring whether she came back or not. Sometimes when I see a new character in a series, I think she/he would be a good fit for a spin-off or replacement character… but she did not. I really did not want her staying at SG-1 the next season either, her Weir just did not grab or endear me to her making a good addition to the… Read more »

Nigel Murray
Nigel Murray
16 days ago
Reply to  Lorna Dune

Really? Lost City is THE go to SG1 story… it’s the one I would show to my non SG or even non SciFi friends. Don’t get me wrong, Torri was brilliant, I loved her in the show and was a little annoyed when they killed her off apparently for the chance of a “bigger name” to replace her… I called it “doing a Jonas” at the time. But… I watch Steens performance in Lost City and it is so natural, her facial expressions at the conference table when the “Shrub” is arguing with SG1 and Hammond… just watch her… that… Read more »

Michael
Michael
23 days ago

I really liked Steen’s performance and was disappointed the role was recast. Interesting to learn what happened behind the scenes and it’s unfortunate things went down the way they did. Thanks for doing this interview!

jake123
jake123
23 days ago

Great interview, Darren! I gotta say, though, out of all the possibilities that went through my head over the years as to why Weir was recast, this was certainly not on the list.

Last edited 23 days ago by jake123
Zenophite
Corvinus
23 days ago

I’m not sure if it was because I saw Tori Higginson in the role first (at the time i had missed the SG-1 episodes) but I think overall I liked her performance of the role better than Steen’s.

Edward
Edward
22 days ago

They should be focusing on remaking the movie, and ignoring the spin off shows. The shows were entertaining but overall awful and constantly retcon the movie which was honestly the best part of the lore.

jake123
jake123
22 days ago
Reply to  Edward

You seem a bit misinformed about how Stargate is perceived in TV history. I’m guessing you didn’t watch all of the seasons, but SG-1 is often considered to be one of the greatest sci-fi shows of all time. As for the movie reboot, you’ll find that the vast majority of the millions of Stargate fans do not agree with or want that.

Daniel
Daniel
22 days ago
Reply to  jake123

I thought Jessica did a good job on star gate but I think she got the last laugh, 15 years and counting on the same show. She is laughing all the way to the bank!

Zenophite
Corvinus
17 days ago
Reply to  Edward

My friend, I won’t say you’re on the wrong Stargate fandom site but….most of us here love the tv series.

Scott
Scott
16 days ago
Reply to  Edward

I, uh… where do you think you are, Ed?

Lorna Dune
Lorna Dune
15 days ago
Reply to  Edward

I can only assume Edward is trolling since the show is near-universally beloved, whereas the movie is largely viewed as all spectacle, no substance, and exceedingly corny.

David4
David4
11 days ago
Reply to  Edward

Yeah of course. Let’s remake a rather boring movie that most people don’t actually like or care about and throw out 17 seasons of TV series that clearly people liked because one show lasted ten years, two movies and two spinoffs.

Mockingjay
7 days ago
Reply to  Edward

I kind of agree and disagree. The movie was so huge it allowed for three shows, but the shows were never that big, and did not allow for a theatrical film ever again. Let’s be fair… As much as we love the shows, if these were as good and famous as some people is pointing out, we would have had some streaming platform buying the rights and producing three or four Stargate-related shows already. However, these have not taken the step because Atlantis and Universe plummeted in ratings. SG1 seasons 1-to-5 were seen by millions in the US and also… Read more »

Ryan
Ryan
22 days ago

I have always wondered this! I liked both Weirs, but I never saw why she needed to be recast.

I only have one problem with this article. It mentions that this happened 18 years ago. I refuse to acknowledge that reality.

LORD MONK
21 days ago

To bad she came out a long time ago stating that she signed up for the movie and the movie only and wanted to further her movie career and not be in TV. BOOM !!!! But after learning she has been doing Burning Man I understand her confusion for all those people are self righteous, hippi, narcissist’s. She is fitting the role perfectly. I knew she wasn’t going to be in it before it even aired.

Shane
Shane
20 days ago
Reply to  LORD MONK

Your comment makes literally no sense.

She wasn’t in any of the Stargate movies, but in a 2-parter.

You also sound like someone that thinks that assumptions based on ignorance are a virtue.

Lorna Dune
Lorna Dune
7 days ago
Reply to  LORD MONK

What are you even talking about, Lord Monk? She wasn’t in any movies. She was only in a TV episode.

Shel
Shel
20 days ago

I enjoyed Jessica Steen’s portrayal, but I think Torri Higginson was a better fit for the role. Her chemistry with the other actors was much better, and I am not sure how Jessica’s portrayal would have meshed with Shepard, McKay and the others.

Last edited 20 days ago by Shel
Aaron
Aaron
17 days ago

She gave up life changing money and a good table multi-year job for a burning man display? I bet she’s kicking herself now!

As for who was better. I think Tori had a little more gravitas / sternness that you’d expect from a leader in this position.

Steen seemed more vulnerable and in a way less serious.

It’s close, I’d give it to Tori.

Dwd999
12 days ago

While Jessica’s performance was certainly well done, if you listen carefully to her voice, it wasn’t suited to the authoritative nature of the character. Torri’s deeper voice and the ability to command which it gave her were much more in keeping with a leadership role that the character represented.

David4
David4
11 days ago

So ironic.
The writers treated the Weir character like garbage. They pointlessly fired Terri Higginson for no reason after thinking Jessica Steen wasn’t committed to the character?

Quinton
11 days ago

Great article, Darren. Nice to finally have some closure on this. And by the way, I want to thank you for your commitment to this stuff. My recent pursuit of a career in games journalism has a lot to do with watching you tackle a separate, equally beloved corner of geekdom with such aplomb for over 20 years and counting. I grew up on the GateWorld forums; I won’t out my prior name since it’s actually my deadname now, ha, but it was a wonderful time rich with learning. I can’t wait to see Brad Wright’s treatment get an official… Read more »

Mockingjay
7 days ago

Thank you Darren for bringing some light to this issue! I absolutely loved Steen’s portray of the character. You could tell she was acting clueless, which made it very real and genuine. Her expressions of “what is this people talking about” and similar moments made the whole two-parts very memorable in my opinion. I was very sad when I found out that she was being re-casted. I never thought Atlantis characters had that much of a charisma, or at least not as much as SG1’s. And I guess most people must have felt the same, because the audiences dropped massively… Read more »

Edmns-1
Edmns-1
6 days ago

Well like the old saying goes, you snooze you lose! She WAS good, but extenuating circumstances involved that put her at odds with those producers and prior commitments 86th her own self from the show.

Trioki
5 days ago

I always wondered why they had changed actress for Dr Weir. There is a beginning of explanation now thanks to your article, but it is still not completely clear.