Your news submission stands a better chance of being approved if you follow these style guidelines. The less the editors have to do to get your story ready for publication, the happier they will be!
- Italicize titles of TV shows, movies, and video games: Stargate SG-1, Stargate: Resistance
- Put the titles of episodes and books in quotation marks: “A Matter of Time,” “Four Dragons”
- Put punctuation inside quotation marks: “We’ll need snacks,” Jack said.
- When attributing a quote, put “said” last: Cooper said, rather than said Cooper
- When attributing a quote, avoid excessively clever verbs: No Hewlett exclaimed! or Huffman sighed
- Use full names of people, places, and things on first citation, and shorten on subsequent references: Richard Dean Anderson; Vancouver, British Columbia
- On subsequent references to proper names, the general rule is to use the person’s last name — even when referring to beloved Stargate actors: Tapping stars in Syfy’s Sanctuary.
- Capitalize and spell out television season numbers: Season One
- Capitalize the W in GateWorld.
- If you know HTML, link to anything in the Stargate Omnipedia (character names, species, etc.) on the first reference only. (If you’d rather leave this for the editors, that’s fine.)
- If you know HTML, when linking to a site other than GateWorld, target a new window for the hyperlink: target=”_blank”
- <I>Words in italics</I>
- <A HREF=”/wiki/Daniel_Jackson”>linked text</A> (to a GateWorld page)
- <A HREF=”http://www.syfy.com/” TARGET=”_blank”>linked text</A> (off-site)