1. ocdtrekkie
    ocdtrekkie
    February 15, 2011 at 5:10 am |

I actually thought the SG-1/Atlantis back-to-back years were really fantastic. I loved Atlantis, but I felt it dropped off a lot when it had to stand on it’s own. The cross-overs between the two series’ were great. It’ll always be my fondest memories of Stargate. SG-1, followed by Atlantis. One awesome night.

2. Sylvia
    Sylvia
    February 15, 2011 at 4:24 pm |

Thanks for the interview. It’s interesting to hear from those who are so influential in producing the shows we love, but who keep a fairly low profile.

Interesting statement that SGU cost twice what Sanctuary did. That was the first season I’m assuming?

3. majorsal
    majorsal
    February 15, 2011 at 5:56 pm |

nice interview! i especially loved what he said about amanda and rick. :)

also interesting that he didn’t directly answer your question about the future of the franchise… :o :/

4. HolyAngelQueenSG-1
    HolyAngelQueenSG-1
    February 15, 2011 at 6:07 pm |

YAY! ^_^ I m happy

5. katikatnik
    katikatnik
    February 16, 2011 at 4:13 am |

Well, no wonder that SyFy took Sanctuary over SGU, with similar ratings, Sanctuary must be much cheaper, what with SGU’s budget being twice what Sanctuary spends.

6. mythos
    mythos
    February 16, 2011 at 10:50 am |

What’s really interesting is that the talk of budgets mentioned that the budget was defined in US dollars. That means that through the lifetime of SG1, the amount that could be gotten for the budget would have gone from a ratio of like 1.8:1 to around 1:1. And even with SGA it would have probably gone from 1.3 or so to 1:1. This means SGU would have been much, much more expensive from the beginning. So it’s ratings would have had to have been much better to be kept around since it didn’t have an established fanbase. I don’t know that any new Stargate show could have made it with that in mind. They really should have just stuck with SGA. It’s ratings were slowly moving back up and it at least had an established fanbase. Even another Stargate show that wasn’t so different probably wouldn’t survive. The producers really failed in not realizing the financial aspect would have been almost insurmountable from the beginning.

7. Jazz
    Jazz
    February 16, 2011 at 5:30 pm |

Thanks for this intervieuw. I think John Smith is a very nice man. I loved the intervieuw, and how he spoke about Rick and Amanda.I wish him all the best in what he is going to do now and that he now can enjoy his private life more as well.It looks likes that all from Stargate falls apart and even the magazine just ended wich is very sad. Looks like we loose it all.Well thats my personal feeling about it.Will it all be gone soon or do we get more of Stargate.I hope so. I also think that in this buisness you have to keep updated with everything camera’s things etc,and then there are the ratings as well and people who like it.