1. Browncoat1984
    Browncoat1984
    March 17, 2011 at 6:13 pm |

Not a surprise, with an extremely long break and the fact that the series was canceled and everyone knows that the show will air on a cliffhanger, despite what SyFy is trying to tell us in the ads isn’t helping.

That being said, the comparison between he most recent ratings of Being Human and SGU is almost like comparing SGU’s ratings in the fall to Caprica’s ratings. I honestly wish I knew what to do to get more people to watch live. I think the problem is that people feel that “I’m just one person, my viewership doesn’t count” thus they don’t watch it – at least those who continue to watch the series via other means despite its cancellation.

It would have been smart for SyFy to just run through the entire season like they did with Atlantis instead of these stupid breaks. I choose to watch two shows live because I want to see them continue: Fringe and Stargate Universe – that’s all I have time for these days sadly.

And for the record, I’m sick of Nielsenn ratings. Really sick because they’re just really depressing these days. Everybody I know who watches SGU (and my mom and I are the only people I know who watch live) really like it and say that its been great since it returned, and its a shame Twin Destinies didn’t get better numbers because it was a great ep.

*sigh* meanwhile, people flock in droves to popcorn fare and vampire/werewolf crap that is flooding the networks right now. I can’t wait for this fad to die off (and it is a fad).

2. trinium
    trinium
    March 17, 2011 at 6:23 pm |

One of, If not the best Episode yet. I was wondering how they were going to get ahold of another shuttle. The only thing that bugs me is how Telford ended up back on earth..It’s almost as if it was added as afterthought to get rid of the duplicate Rush, but still keep Telford. He went back on his own Timeline, which would have, and did prevent Telford from going to earth in the first place!

3. trinium
    trinium
    March 17, 2011 at 6:27 pm |

In the past Stargate has been pretty accurate in these matters, Exept for Episode 1 season 4 of Atlantis when The Apollo was able to talk in real time to the Midway space station in Real time. Being as how each gate in the bridge has to accept incoming matter/Transmissions, and then shut down and dial the next gate in the bridge. They could have sent a Data burst, but that’s it.

4. puddlejumper_1
    puddlejumper_1
    March 17, 2011 at 6:34 pm |

this was trully a great episode, but its just sad to see the ratings drop this low. Its just up against other good shows on a bad timeslot!!! I’m wondering if their adding the ratings from the second showing that plays on monday’s because thats when a lot of people are watching it then too

5. j0hnmilt0n
    j0hnmilt0n
    March 17, 2011 at 6:37 pm |

Really, really sad. I’ll never understand how they could kill such an amazing franchise, and a show that was just beginning to unfold its true and glorious potential. As for the Telford matter, I think the timeline shift must have occured while he was mid-travel, similarly to what occured in Continuum. So even though the timeline was altered, he was unaffected. But well, time travel eps are always a bit funky when it comes to logic… Tropers already know all about the “Timey-Wimey Ball” =)

6. wraithkelso
    wraithkelso
    March 17, 2011 at 7:07 pm |

This was my favorite episode so far, syfy really shouldn’t have moved stargate to a new night in the first place. As it is, hopefully the DVD, iTunes, and, and other sales of not only SGU, but of the franchise at large stay strong so that there can be a future for the franchise.

7. Lee_Machine
    Lee_Machine
    March 17, 2011 at 7:12 pm |

Did you guys see that Netflix is getting into the producing original TV show business? Maybe that is where Stargate could go? Not any time soon I suppose…

SciFi in general would do betterff o with an online only model.

8. nobycane
    nobycane
    March 17, 2011 at 7:57 pm |

As much as I love the SG series, I am not surprised about the number of viewers (on the Nielsenn ratings). In fact, I DVR’d it and watched it just last night. Watching it live (whether or not your are a Nielsenn ratings viewer) will not do any good or matter for that fact. Plus, the SGU s.2 will be on DVD over the summer anyways. In addition, being on at 10pm EST is not really worth staying up for these days – thank god for DVR.

9. kellx
    kellx
    March 17, 2011 at 8:06 pm |

i dont see how the ratings are so low. deliverance and twin destinies were soooo good.

10. The destiny
    The destiny
    March 17, 2011 at 8:10 pm |

I see a pattern.. the better the episodes get, the lower the ratings go. Paradox.

11. JoeTheDragon
    JoeTheDragon
    March 17, 2011 at 9:30 pm |

they where up next to a big NHL game

12. Browncoat1984
    Browncoat1984
    March 17, 2011 at 10:37 pm |

That’s always been my complaint about the Stargate series…why does SyFy ALWAYS HAVE TO HAVE THEM ON SO EFFING LATE?? I mean, its no wonder nobody wants to watch them live at 9:00 on a Monday night, if I had to choose I’d probably choose Castle since that’s probably a better show to wind down to on a Monday (but I choose SG out of loyalty) – at least its on at 9. If it was on at 10, I’d say forget it. I’ve never understood that, I mean, its no wonder Stargate has gotten such low viewing ratings this season, especially given the fact that it was on the first two days a week – that late at night who wants to watch a serious SF drama after a long day at work/school?

13. Browncoat1984
    Browncoat1984
    March 17, 2011 at 10:39 pm |

I should also add that to my knowledge, Stargate is on at a later timeslot than any other sci-fi series. The most any other sci-fi series that I’m aware of this season has been on is 8:00 (Fringe on Fridays, V on Tuesdays, and I’m sure I’m missing a few). In fact, in all my years of watching sci-fi, SyFy is the only network to program new episodes of a SF series so late at night…

14. zach707
    zach707
    March 17, 2011 at 11:00 pm |

great frakin episode at liest it will go out on a great note and im shure the books will come to finish the story and who knows what the future holds i have a fealing we havent seen the last of stargate galactica took like 25 years off and came back great so heres to the last few chapters in this book but not the series

15. zach707
    zach707
    March 17, 2011 at 11:01 pm |

and im still hopein for a movie i mean they gave firefly 1 and it only made 1 season and it was good but not watch it twice good and i have watch stargate episode over and over and over

16. shermacidal
    shermacidal
    March 17, 2011 at 11:48 pm |

Its rediculous that a show this good can have the ratings that they do, but it doesnt suprise me. They love those stupid reality shows the cake shows and the jersey shows. It makes me so mad!!!!! I mean look what its up against… harry’s law? NCIS with LL? wrestling??? I couldnt even sit through a whole episode of that mindless garbage. I really hope that they make a SGU movie, u can’t leave a story this good go unfinished

17. Togame
    Togame
    March 18, 2011 at 12:08 am |

As much as we disagree on Stargate Universe quality, you have to admit, when wrestling of all things draws well near 6 mil viewers, something is wrong with all these people.

18. AscendedTauri
    AscendedTauri
    March 18, 2011 at 12:49 am |

@Togame…. amen…. the American audience is deplorable.

The 2nd season of SGU has been some of the best science fiction EVER, yet…. somehow… it’s ending???

Wow America… enjoy your over-sexed vampires.

19. ChefNilo
    ChefNilo
    March 18, 2011 at 1:13 am |

OK…. been a long time fan since the start. Yeah theres gonna be a SGA wrap-up movie or two. but what they should do is a three-way mini series with all the franchises. ALL the main players. It’ll cost a bundle, but that would be a helluva finish.

20. darkthunder
    darkthunder
    March 18, 2011 at 2:10 am |

If they wanna improve their ratings, first things first: Give us an additional HALF season atleast, to try and tie up some loose ends, and not end the show on a cliffhanger.

Third, FIRE whoever was in charge for SGU’s “BSG-style” direction of Season 1. Season 2 has been leaps and bounds above Season 1, but the fact that the show is currently considered cancelled, and ending on a cliffhanger, won’t make people “Tune in”.

21. Browncoat1984
    Browncoat1984
    March 18, 2011 at 2:24 am |

Also, as I stated above:

Fourth: don’t put the show on so late at night unless its on Fridays or Saturdays. I honestly sometimes have problems getting to bed after watching an episode of SGU because my mind is thinking about it.

22. Gatefan1976
    Gatefan1976
    March 18, 2011 at 2:34 am |

For Crying out loud!
    17 comments so far and all you see is excuse after excuse for the ratings.
    It was the wrestling
    It was the night
    It was the Competition
    It was the time slot
    The G.P. are a bunch of morons
    It doesn’t suit me to watch it live
    I don’t have a nielson box so what does it matter.
    (and those are just the “common ones)
    and it just rolls on and on.

How many excuses does it take before the simple realisation that the show just wasn’t interesting to the “general viewing audience” starts to sink in? Is that a tragedy?, well to it’s fans, sure it it, they feel like they have lost something they enjoy to the “vagaries” of a system they (mostly) simply don’t understand, or, if they do understand, just choose to ignore.
    Simple truth is however, all the excuses in the world are just an attempt to “shift blame” onto some other reason besides the show being a *commercial failure* because if it was a *commercial success*, every reason given for it failure would be turned into “proof” that the show was a “good show”. You can’t “have your cake and eat it” folks, it’s as simple as that.

23. Gatefan1976
    Gatefan1976
    March 18, 2011 at 2:38 am |

@ darkthunder
    “Second, move the show off of Mondays/Tuesdays. Those two nights are the busiest for network shows, and will instantly cause a distinct drop in ratings numbers.”

You do realise that those nights also generate the largest potential viewing pool, because apparently most people watch more TV on those nights as well yeah?

24. katikatnik
    katikatnik
    March 18, 2011 at 3:59 am |

@Browncoat1984: Earlier time slot = much tougher competition.

Look at USA Network’s winter ratings for Burn Notice and Royal Pains (their best rated shows in the summer!), that were moved from 10pm to 9pm – 30% slip. Which is why they didn’t air White Collar at 9pm in winter, but they will air it at 9pm in the summer, less competition in that time slot then.

SGU aired at 9pm on Tuesday and the ratings dropped like a rock. Would you want it to air even earlier? Against House or NCIS/Glee or AI/Survivor or AI/TBBT? That would flatten the show completely.

25. Conercao
    Conercao
    March 18, 2011 at 4:47 am |

Another good season 2 episode betrayed by bad scheduling and cancelation. Has someone at “Syfy” got a grudge against stargate or something?

26. Jim
    Jim
    March 18, 2011 at 6:30 am |

I’m not suprised at all by even lower numbers.
    First of all the show has been canceled and due to a complete imperfection of nielsen,people are abandonong the inadequacy that is SyFy,because there is no way that their live viewing will change anything.
    And secondly,connected to the first point,the reasoning is;Why should then I watch it live,support SyFy in any way,when there are other ways to see it,or I can DVR it and watch it at my own leasure,when I want/can/feel like it.
    I also have to say that I agree with what everybody here had to say and with all of your points.

27. klharris39
    klharris39
    March 18, 2011 at 7:17 am |

It seems that a lot of viewers have missed out on an awesome episode of SGU. The show is really coming into its own, and has become a highlight to my viewing week. I must say that “Twin Destinies” is one of the episodes that feels like a “Stargate” show, a more mature, grown up Stargate.

There were many factors that brought this show to a premature end, and there are many other factors that should keep this show going (great cast and crew). But I will be watching and enjoying every one of the last 8 episodes of SGU.

28. warren_sg1
    warren_sg1
    March 18, 2011 at 7:57 am |

I can’t see why they would go on live ratings anyway, surely these days when the options are there to watch, online, live, record and watch later and dvd sales, that they would choose “live” ratings are the most important. SGU is possibly one of the best series i’ve seen, and like has been said, its only just beginning to unlock its potential. Personally i don’t have the means to watch it ‘live’, though if i did, i certainly would just to try help keep it alive.

29. mythos
    mythos
    March 18, 2011 at 8:23 am |

Regarding the time travel paradox they created, this is why SGU isn’t sci-fi. There are several ways it could have been explained but they didn’t really explain it at all. There were just suddenly 2 of everything. The only explanation being the foreshadowing that strange things can happen if you open a wormhole in a star.

And the show’s ratings are low the world over. It hasn’t been particularly successful anywhere. If it had, the show would have picked it up by someone. So it’s not just US viewers that aren’t watching.

Face it, SGU just wasn’t good enough. No, I’m not an ‘SGU hater’, I’m a realist. The show was a complete flop. And while more people may have watched than the show’s ratings, there weren’t enough of them to matter. It’s an expensive show and so it had to get bigger numbers in order to make it. It didn’t. It’s run by people whose business it is to know how these things work, who understand the Nielsen Ratings far better than anyone here. So they all failed to create a show that could survive. It really is that simple. SGU was a failed experiment by any measurable criteria. What’s amazing to me is that people think that the Nielsen ratings worked against the show when the show was entirely designed around trying to exploit the Nielsen Ratings. The show was entirely designed around trying to capture the ‘vampire diaries’ market.

30. Jakman
    Jakman
    March 18, 2011 at 10:43 am |

You know what kills me is how can they get a true read on what people are watching with such a small sample size Nielson uses. There are 25,000 total American households that participate in the Nielsen daily metered system. The number of U.S. television households as of 2009 is 114,500,000. As a result, the total number of Nielsen homes only amounts to 0.02183% of the total American television households. I know its suppose to be a represenative because its random sampling, but “random sampling can be so biased its not funny” what criteria is used when selecting the sample plays a huge impact on the results.

31. Sylvia
    Sylvia
    March 18, 2011 at 10:44 am |

Just comes down to if people wanted to watch this show, they would have. They didn’t.

Sad for the fans, though.

32. WilliamBD
    WilliamBD
    March 18, 2011 at 1:34 pm |

So who is surprised? didnt most people here swear to stop watching it on SYFY? i’m actually surprised they got close to 1 million unless that number includes itunes and such. either way they cancelled it, why do we still talk about ratings? anyways love the show and i hope this find a way to keep the franchise going somehow SGU or no. I’m still sad we never got to see what happened in pegasus.

33. Mainer82
    Mainer82
    March 18, 2011 at 1:52 pm |

This was one of the best SGU episodes thus far. I am sad that the show is still going to be canceled.

34. Jim
    Jim
    March 18, 2011 at 6:06 pm |

@WilliamBD Exactly,lol..this time nielsen may have actually shown bigger numbers than what they really were..it’s ridiculous!

35. Ryster
    Ryster
    March 18, 2011 at 7:34 pm |

@Gatefan1976

You know, I agree with you some respects. SGU was fairly poor early on in Season 1, but did improve dramatically towards the end of S1, and S2 has been truly excellent for the most part. But I guess the damage was done.

That being said though, all the “excuses” people are coming up with, shouldn’t just be discounted either. They all played their part.

Regarding your comment on the viewing pool on Mon/Tue being higher, I have to say this: I’d much rather have 80% of a small pie, then 20% of a big one.

36. scifi75
    scifi75
    March 18, 2011 at 9:20 pm |

It’s painful to watch only because the closest thing to a “thinking person’s” TV show will be drawing to a close. I do blame the creators for starting so poorly in the first season but even then I had a gut feeling for SGU’s potential. Regardless, the show has finished so will my patronage to the Siffee network.

37. Jim
    Jim
    March 19, 2011 at 12:57 am |

@scifi75 I know,right? But that has always been the problem with smart shows,ppl don’t understand what author tried to say,most ppl.
    Why wouldn’t smart be fun and enterteaining as well?But no,some say ppl mostly wanna be entertained when they come home from work,as if 90% of ppl were working as astrophysicists durin the day,when in fact most go about their routine as robots.That exactly is the problem,they can’t get out of the stultifying programming of the everyday consumeristic life,so there you have it..lifestyle shows,reality shows,singing/dancing with stars and selling dreams.Why should anybody think,or feel anything more?Keep ’em stupid and happy and buying!

38. Jim
    Jim
    March 19, 2011 at 1:03 am |

Like with this ep.the BIG problem is the time paradox,as if the word itself didn’t have it’s meaning,that is a prob,not what the real message is,it’s too tyring to bother yourself with the big picture.

39. Xyla
    Xyla
    March 19, 2011 at 3:35 am |

I’m afraid if someone can’t understand how short-distance time travel could theoretically create two of everything, they probably should be watching wrestling instead.

40. Jim
    Jim
    March 19, 2011 at 3:58 am |

@Xyla lol..WORD girl!! I was saying something similar in a post that is awaiting moderation,because I used one “inappropriate” word!Geez!It’s even funnier that such ppl label this show as non-scifi,because of that one thing!
    Anyway,thank you for posting!

41. Jim
    Jim
    March 19, 2011 at 4:05 am |

Also I want to say that the star and stargate wormhole are the keys here,to the point that I’m almost ready to say there was no paradox here.The episode was amazing and completely within the previously established(in sg1 and sga)stargate canon.

42. jwillis84
    jwillis84
    March 19, 2011 at 4:41 am |

Not a whole lot to the plot of the episode. Looked like an exercise in resetting everything.

If the ratings weren’t already so low.. I think it would have been the “Jumped the Shark” episode for sure. I mean how could you “believe” they wouldn’t do this kinda thing again? They broke the contract with the audience, they’re own contract.. that everything was permenant.. zombies wouldn’t spring back from the dead to resurrect old team members.. oh wait.. they did that.. they even included it in the pre-show reminding us they could bring anyone back from the dead.

The acting was stellar, production values pretty good. Not much challenge in the special FX department.

But the story was slow, plodding, predictable. I will admit breaking the rules regarding causality and “crossing the time streams” violating matter conservation.. just so Telford wound up back on Earth was inventive.. if not really believable.. I mean how about a shot of him back at Home world command to make it more real? It had the feel they couldn’t schedule a shot because he was just a guest star and it was inconvenient to take the shot.

There is something recycled.. familar about it.. like you had a writers class in high school discussed some old shows.. other shows.. and borrowed from them.. and inserted a twist.. or tried to insert a twist and throw everyone off.. problem is.. it was very predictable.

I’d grade the paper a B- for completing the task.. but otherwise it was a waste of storytime.

Can you imagine how cheated a viewer would feel to miss this episode and find all the pieces reset after the previous episode? No lasting after effects?

They could have used “last six months was a dream” and wiped it all out and saved the episode hours.

43. jwillis84
    jwillis84
    March 19, 2011 at 4:51 am |

Forgot totally how they wrapped up Chloe’s story.. wasn’t that forgettable?

So she had an alien rash.. the aliens cleaned it up and sent her on her way. Really?

And how convenient, the Blueberries are Galaxy hopping trolls without much purpose except to act superior and offer no real threat.. but they’re good at getting killed.. galaxy hopping blueberries.. really.. you can stride galaxies.. but you can’t offer much defense against robots.. but you can whoop up on Destinys shields any day of the week.. weak.. they deserve to be blown up.

Now how would a big baddy like Apophis handle this situation?

Let’s see; 1. they didn’t get the Big Gun 2. they didn’t get a second Rush 3. they lost a Telford 4. lost the blueberry rash that made Chloe all smart

and this episode was great why?

I want to like it.. I like SGU.. but for what?

44. Kaliway
    Kaliway
    March 19, 2011 at 4:55 am |

People are presenting legitimate arguments in their defense of SyFy’s failure in working to provide SGU’s better chances of survival.

Regardless, I’m completely uncertain as to why internet viewings, DVR, and the like aren’t contributing to these shows’ ratings… I have never watched SGU live… and quite frankly, I loath commercials – especially for really great shows. I always record my SGU and watch it when the wife and kids are asleep and I got the house to myself and quiet with no interruptions. SGU is absolutely incredible and I’m a little sick and tired of seeing good shows go off the air simply because of a failed ratings system. SyFy is beginning to really dig under my skin. Whatever the case, SGU has a great cast, great story, and I proudly admit my addiction to this series. I really don’t know what to feel knowing the show is expected to expire soon. I’m certain it won’t help the ratings any further with SyFy’s annoyingly consistent reminders of SGU’s cancellations coming up. I think, in spite, I would love to see SyFy’s cancellation – maybe some new management is needed? This vampire fad is pathetic and much the same response follows with some of these other sci-fi shows: eureka, warehouse 13, etc etc. In my own opinion, I couldn’t care less for many of the shows Sci-Fi has…. but SGU’s cancellation makes me feel almost inclined to calling the network and complaining… who knows…. I hope to atleast get a formal closing to the series if this is to be it… a movie or special series, etc.

45. jwillis84
    jwillis84
    March 19, 2011 at 4:59 am |

Here’s an idea to Save SGU.

Get Harlan Ellison to shadow the remaining episodes offering commentary aka Mystery Science Theatre 3000

Then perform a post story analysis of where they went right and where they went wrong.

Battlestar kind of did this when introducing the Lucy Lawless character. Except it was a part of the show.

I’d take just letting Harlan go crazy on it. Would spice up the DVD sales too.

46. samsy5000
    samsy5000
    March 19, 2011 at 8:52 am |

lol this proves how bad it is, nothing against the actors at all you are ALL amazing, REALLY. i mean the first three episodes were about fixing the life support, doctor who has a best plot structure!!!! We want ATLANTIS!!!! bring it back its the bomb!!!!!!! :)

47. axcel1
    axcel1
    March 19, 2011 at 9:10 am |

Well, I was one of those fans that said I wouldn’t watch SGU in real time, on SyFy, but, I couldn’t do it, I am watching it on Mondays at 10. I still can’t believe tptb wouldn’t film a alternate ending for season 2. I still say now would be a great time to pull a Dick Wolf and make the next spin-off, Stargate UK.

48. axcel1
    axcel1
    March 19, 2011 at 9:15 am |

I also agree with the earlier post that a mini-series/movie with cast members from all 3 shows help bring Destiny home.

49. wganubis
    wganubis
    March 19, 2011 at 9:39 am |

1. Why are we even talking about ratings now? It’s frankly a moot, and somewhat of a depressing point. SyFy is not going to reverse the shows cancelation even if the second half some how were to grab ratings worth the sum of American Idol, the exec’s are not known for intelligent choices. Lets just wait out the clock with some dignity shall we?

2. Comparing Being Human to SGU is comparing Apples to Tomatos. Both are shows on the same network but thats where the similarities end. To be frank, the comparison feels more like a jaded ex girlfriend comparing herself to her ex’s new girlfriend and saying “what does she have that I dont have?”

3. The rating system is an antiquated P.O.S. one that is used by people stuck in the past and until a new system in put into place shows that arnt heavy with the ratings will be at risk. Trying to encourage people to watch live, which is becoming less and less common as more and more people get DVR’s and providers offer them in their packages, is simply not going to happen and encouraging people to do so, particularly when the writers do it is a sign that the show is on it’s way out as has been proven so many times before.

50. Lister2020
    Lister2020
    March 19, 2011 at 12:38 pm |

Jesus Christ, you really need to stop defending this show. That was the worst writing I have ever seen in any stargate episode. Oh yes, somehow, the entire ship just magically went back in time, and oh look, now we have another ship full of spare parts, and we have two telfords and two rushes so we can kill off one of each for the drama great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, that was an absolutely pathetic script.

51. mythos
    mythos
    March 19, 2011 at 12:49 pm |

It’s funny to watch people defend SGU so fervently as the walls come crashing down around it. People saying they don’t watch the commercials but can’t understand why the show gets taken off the air. People thinking that putting a spaceship on the screen makes something science fiction. People saying that certainly far more people must be watching when the fact is there’s every likelihood that it’s really far less because the nielsen ratings must obviously be working against the show rather than in it’s favor. All quite amusing.

Though it has made me realize that perhaps it’s not all the producer’s fault. Maybe it’s the die-hard SGU fans whom really are the ones that sunk the show by placing it on this pedestal and not allowing it to grow into something more, something better. Trying to force it to be something it wasn’t (ie science fiction) just because they want it to be. The few gave the idea that there was an interest in something for which there really wasn’t.

Let’s create a show where causality means nothing, anything can happen anytime, anywhere and we’ll just overlook the fact that there’s no explanation for it. And we’ll blindly follow it and call it great because there’s a handful of people who like to not let pesky details get in the way of things. And make it commercial free too. The air time should be donated to the show just because of it’s sheer greatness – no need to pay for itself. I think it’s a grand idea, myself.

52. wganubis
    wganubis
    March 19, 2011 at 3:13 pm |

@ Lister2020 I call that Dues Ex Syndrome, when the writers rely so much on the “convience” of technology to the point that it goes beyond a clique and becomes something more of a mental desease.

Need an expert of the week? Use communication stones that apparently are always in your call area.

Engline blow up? Well luckily theres a repair bot in the back!

In a sticky spot against a bunch of alien robot drones? Well the aqua aliens happen to have been following you since the last galaxy and jump in just at that moment thanks to their inside man that no one is willing to lock in a brig or put into a chemical coma or a bullet between the eyes.

Ship falling apart? Well guess what, turns out you tried to get back home only for the ship to some how go back in time and now you have a dead hulk that you can salvage for 40 minutes and convienitly make Phillips a guest star again.

As I have said in the past, hopefully should another star gate show be created, it wont be for some time and maybe the writers will give more thought and detail as to what they want to present to the viewers.

53. sethas
    sethas
    March 19, 2011 at 5:46 pm |

I am a big fan of SG1 and Atlantis and I had very high hopes for Stargate Universe but i have to say that for me, the show is a huge disappointment. I can’t tell you how much i hate what the producers have done to the series. My only hope is that MGM makes the 2 movies they promised

54. Dachannien
    Dachannien
    March 19, 2011 at 7:45 pm |

I blame the preview. It made it sound like the whole episode was going to be Yet Another Power Struggle with Telford trying to take control. That got old a long time ago, and people aren’t really interested in seeing it again.

Unfortunately, the episode really wasn’t about that. In fact, it was a pretty good episode, and if the previews had pointed potential viewers toward the episode’s strengths, more people might have been interested in tuning in.

55. Gatefan1976
    Gatefan1976
    March 19, 2011 at 7:55 pm |

@Ryster

Here’s the thing though, I specificly avoided comment on the content of the show and comparing S1 to S2 for the simple reason that it’s a “like vs dislike” thing, and no two people can ever totally agree on that. Everything we see is filtered by our own personal perceptions and what you saw is different to what I saw which is different to what X saw and so on.

Now, I wouldn’t mind “all the excuses” so much IF they were a uncommon thing, but they’re just not. every episode has a new or recycled “reason” why it just didn’t rate as high as the fans wanted it to, and thats what I find rediculous. At what point do you just have to “suck it up” and realise that the show, weather *YOU* (generic you) think it is brilliant or garbage, just did not work as a commercial product? The excuses imo have gone from “sure, I can by that” to “fan excuse bingo”, and really, it’s just becoming a game of “pick-a-box, excuse edition” Did they all play a part? Possibly, hey, I’ll even say probably, but if you need excuses for practicly every ep, something else is going on here.

As to the “pie”, it depends on just how different the size between the pies is doesn’t it :D

56. DustoMan
    DustoMan
    March 20, 2011 at 12:38 am |

Okay but to say that SG:U lost a portion of the lead in audience from Being Human implies that the demographic of Being Human is the same as SGU’s. It’s not. Look at the articles you guys wrote about BH’s ratings. They skew female. I’m coming in to Syfy on Monday nights for SGU not Being Human. I don’t care about that show. I care about SGU.

57. medegno51
    medegno51
    March 20, 2011 at 3:01 am |

It really is amazing, this blame game thing that has become normal for some fans here…

While I am sad to see SGU (and all of the SG franchise) go down like this, I simply cannot conjure up all the excuses some seem to create when doing a proper post mortem on SGU’s demise on Syfy.

(It should be noted that I am writing this after watching DVR’d re-aings of both SG-1’s “Heroes” and SGA’s “The Shrine”. )

The show’s guardians had two choices to prevent this current state of affairs (for fans, cast, and MGM execs alike):

1. STAY TRUE TO THE FANS AND THE CURRENT FRANCHISE MYTHOS. Sure, this choice would’ve meant more comic McKay/Jackson pairings for the writers to ‘suffer’ through, but it would’ve kept all the actors, staffers, and support crews working for a long time still, and would’ve kept most (if not all) SG fans entertained with enough episodes to enjoy that tub of popcorn without any heavy-handed stories of angst and woe for many more years to come. Success, right?

Or…

2. STAY TRUE TO THEIR POOR, BURNING, CREATIVE SOULS, AND ‘IRA BEHR’- THEMSELVES TO SHAKING UP THE STATUS QUO ON THIER CURRENT SHOW. This course of action requires a lot of risks– Including the ultimate risk: getting your own show cancelled– but, hey, you’re a artist with a bunch of tortured-souls stories to tell, right? Why worry about such trivialities as food for your family, car payments, and the kids’ colleges funds, when your creative soul yearns to explore the darkest voids of the human experience… in space…(ugh) There is a bigger chance that this course of action against the status quo on your own show will be met with disaster for all the employees and paying customers alike; but for that slim chance that it could actually *work*, why, just imagine all of the creative comparisons to greats like J. D. Salinger, Gore Vidal, Ron E. Moore, and the like. Why, that fruit is just too tempting not to try…

We can all deduce which course Brad, et al, decided to take. (Do I sound bitter?)

Well, there is an old saying in the old borsht-belt stage entertainment circuits of yore: ”Know the Room.” If one loses that ability to ‘know the room’ they’re trying to entertain, then you and your entire staff will go unpaid, unemployed, and hungry. There would be no more shows to entertain others along the way who would’ve wanted to see your productions.

This is what has happened here– to Stargate fans; to the Stargate actors and employees; to the Stargate franchise as a whole. The Big Show has come to a stop, due to the lack of continued funding. To the lack of being able to know fans that feed you and keep the lights on the marquee on. To the lack of being able to Know the Room.

58. medegno51
    medegno51
    March 20, 2011 at 3:33 am |

Sorry again for that last post (last *rant*, actually)…

It’s just that, after watching SGU’s “Twin Destinies”, and then re-watching set-piece episodes like “Heroes” and “The Shrine” afterwards, I grew increasingly angry all over again at the sheer arrogance of the current showrunners. They could’ve still written all of the gritty episodes they wanted and STILL could’ve be able to maintain the core action, humor, and sense of family each of those shows were able to create for almost fifteen wonderful years.

A more grittier Stargate universe, huh? A more evolved purpose for the humans of Earth, right? Tighter storylines and depth of characters, correct?

And… we get “Twin Destinies”. Wow.

I grew angry once again

59. Jim
    Jim
    March 20, 2011 at 12:17 pm |

What I find funny is that people who don’t like SGU are always finding new reasons for what’s wrong with it,first it was the characters,then it was it’s serialized nature,now they are criticizing it for implementing all the things that sg1 and sga were full of,lol!Time travel,two,or more of ships,things persons without plausible explanations,plot holes..etc Have you actually watched previous two franchises?
    @mythos regarding your proposal for creating a show,it’s already been created,it’s called sg1 and guess what,people still love it!
    The numbers provided by the current rating system are the only thing to go by,but they mean less and less all together and people from the industry directly admit that and know the system will have to change.And the numbers connected to this show mean nothing,since it has been CANCELED!!
    As for you hating this show from day one,but still know in detail what’s going on,there are two explanations for your condition;either there is something that is driving you to it after all,or you are waisting your own time keeping score just so that you’d be able to troll this site and say..see they did that wrong!
    I have a word of advice for you..either pick up that thing that kinda looks like
    a phone and try to push a button on it,it changes programmes on your tv.,or get a life!

60. medegno51
    medegno51
    March 20, 2011 at 4:52 pm |

@ Jim:

“Get a life!”..?

Now, now… no need for you to (*again*) get personal when trying to define the motives of fellow SG fans that ‘appear’ to have a more visceral dislike of SGU than yourself. Mythos’ posts often have a bit of a bite to them, but those posts often have a huge nugget of truth within them—and that’s coming from me: a very critical, yet equally loyal fan of SGU from the very start.

As I stated in earlier posts, I see all this as a post mortem: the subject has expired, or is in the final stages of expiration, and we’re all trying to find The Real Reason for such a state. Yes, yes, I think we’ve all came as close as 98% accurate as to the cause of SGU’s (and Stargate’s) eventual demise; but, as it often does, another professional will come along to add additional details and tidbits to already-established theories to same, that’s all.

61. thermalzombie
    thermalzombie
    March 21, 2011 at 4:22 am |

Who wants to watch being human it looks **** to me and it is not really scifi is it.

I can understand why people arnt watching a show that is cancelled with no possible ending. Why dont they air it online and have it add supported.

62. mythos
    mythos
    March 21, 2011 at 8:44 am |

@Jim – SG1 didn’t ignore the science. It’s reasoning and explanation may not have always been the best, but it did try and it at least tried to stay consistent. It was science fiction. As for the questions of my intent, television is a hobby to me. Nothing more. I’m sorry if it means so much more to you as it obviously does, taking it so personally. And thanks for the recommendation but I actually have a life, which is how I can be so objective about television shows rather than getting so attached to them that the opinions of others about it haunt me so. I hadn’t figured you for so much the emotional type but unlike some tend to believe, I can admit when I’m wrong.

63. lepidus
    lepidus
    March 21, 2011 at 10:35 am |

I’d be willing to bet SyFy moved it to the busy Monday night just so the ratings would drop. Then they could justify canceling the show and bring in another dumb cheap reality show. It’s not about quality, it’s all about the money. Stargate costs a bunch to make. So they drop it and bring in some new cooking show and save a bundle.

64. Mentat
    Mentat
    March 21, 2011 at 5:46 pm |

Not only are the ratings bad but it’s taken the whole franchise down with it. Why didn’t they listen to the fan grumblings back in 2008 when they first floated this disastrous idea? No movies, no SGA 6, no magazine ….

65. Gatefan1976
    Gatefan1976
    March 21, 2011 at 6:07 pm |

@ lepidus

Yep, thats right. Syfy goes out of it’s way to create or support new products, just to loose money on them :-P. Fan excuse bingo lives on.

66. Coremae
    Coremae
    March 22, 2011 at 2:40 am |

Darren, I put it to you sir, because you are the man in the know, can’t you suggest to these dip sits at syfy, to simply ask the global fans who watch sgu to do something during the shows same day viewing—say be 1am eastern time, and if they’re watching then they’ll be able to log on and prove they were watching. because using a maybe device that looks at a few thousand households and draws the conclusion that millions of people does this or that is just plain stupid. I don’t give a damn what anyone says; prove the numbers are as you say by asking the fans to log in, and based upon the amount of fans that log onto the internet and put in the codes, then you could say, they’re watching the show and the commercials.

67. mythos
    mythos
    March 22, 2011 at 8:16 am |

@Darren – Thank you. I and others have said much the same in multiple threads in response to similar but maybe people will listen now that you’ve said it.

68. Drakcir
    Drakcir
    March 24, 2011 at 8:17 pm |

I can not speak for the reasons for every one not to watch the shows live, but i can speak for those who are in my position. I am in the military as well as in college so for me to get to watch a show when it airs is unbelievably great, how ever for me it is few and far between . I have to watch them via hulu or other internet steaming site for most of it and I think it sucks that the show is on the hinges of true cancellation. Now as far as the rating system why cant they do a live broadcast with the adds if on tv via internet so those like myself can have that chance to view it on the given air date hell they already have the mode and means to accomplish it on the syfy site…

thats all i have the time to type and i have no idea who i need to talk or submite my ideas to but please if you know who to send them to or a # please let me know.