Chevron 1 – Encoded …
We’re going back through the gate! This week we’re thrilled to announce plans for the Stargate Rewatch, GateWorld’s plan to celebrate 17 seasons of Stargate through the rest of 2011 and 2012. We want you to be a part of it!
Here’s the plan in a nutshell: Starting on August 1, we’re devoting one full month to each season of the Stargate franchise, encouraging fans all over the world to rewatch every episode of Stargate SG-1, Atlantis, and Universe. It works out to about five episodes per week, so you can enjoy one episode every evening with your family, or sit down over the weekend for a marathon!
The more hardcore among us may watch episodes quite a bit faster, but this seems to be a good pace for most of us with a few spare hours to pop in a DVD during the week.
Whichever series or character is your favorite, let’s come together to celebrate a decade and a half of our favorite shows. The important part is to think of the Rewatch as a worldwide community event. Here’s what you can do while you are rewatching each of the series:
- Facebook & Twitter. Use the hashtag #SGRewatch and post about what you are watching this week! (Be sure to follow @GateWorld and Like Us on Facebook for updates.)
- Have a Blog? Post reviews of your favorite (and least favorite) episodes, track the growth of your favorite character, use your fanfic skills to fill in those missing scenes, or anything else you can come up with! Send us a link to what you are doing and we’ll post links to the best, most creative interactions with the rewatch.
- GateWorld Forum! We have official discussion threads for every episode, which we’ll be bringing up and encouraging you to use again as you rewatch the series.
On GateWorld, we’ll be supporting the Rewatch program every week with special features, podcasts, and more. We’re open to your ideas here, but so far we have these on the list:
- Week 1 of each month: We’ll kick things off by re-introducing you to the season of the month, with behind-the-scenes factoids, links to relevant interviews, podcasts, galleries, and more on the site, and a call for you to nominate your favorite episode, favorite character moments, etc.
- Week 2: The polls go up! Vote for your favorites from that season. We’ll also release an exclusive audio commentary on an episode selected by your GateWorld podcasters. Just press play on your iPod or PC when the episode starts, and we’ll watch along with you!
- Week 3: Other season-specific special features — suggestions welcome!
- Week 4: We’ll announce the final poll results as readers pick their favorite episode and character moments from the season. And (if all goes according to plan) we’ll have a second audio commentary ready to go for the episode that you’ve selected as the best of the season!
We’ll be rewatching ten seasons of SG-1, five seasons of Atlantis, and two seasons of SGU in that order. (No confusing overlapping of SG-1 and Atlantis, as they originally aired.) That’s an amazing 354 episodes of great science fiction.
The goal is not just to give you an excuse to get some mileage out of your DVD collection, but to rewatch 17 seasons of Stargate together, on the same schedule, as a community of fans from around the world.
We hope this project, nearly a year and a half long, will be great for long-time fans ready to enjoy the entire Stargate story all over again, and also from newcomers who haven’t seen every series or every episode. We hope that you’ll join us for the Stargate Rewatch through the rest of 2011 and all of 2012, finishing up 17 seasons of Stargate at the end of next year!
Bookmark GateWorld.net/Rewatch for the full plan and future updates on the Stargate Rewatch.
Are you ready to rewatch the entire Stargate saga? Post below and let us know you are on board!