If you haven’t been reading our daily coverage of Stargate‘s presence at San Diego Comic-Con last week, here’s our recap of everything you missed!
Comic-Con is the biggest geek event / marketing frenzy this side of the planet Delmak’s big SokarFest (only once every 100 years), and this year it was time for MGM and Syfy to reveal the brand new spin-off series, Stargate Universe.
The coming-out included a panel with the cast and creators of the show, followed by autographs; a Stargate booth on convention floor; posters of new cast photos handed out; a booth video with new footage from SGU, running over six minutes; trailers, cast and producer interviews by the media, parties hosted by MGM and Syfy, and more …
- THE PREVIEW. Wednesday night is preview night at Comic-Con, and the crowds got their first look at the booth, the video footage, and the Destiny. GateWorld’s David Read was there, delivering us our first quick-and-dirty look at the ship that will serve as home to Stargate Universe.
- TRAILER #1! There’s no way to see that six minutes of footage if you weren’t at Comic-Con. But to make up for it, fans online were treated to the first full trailer for SGU. Clocking in at just under three minutes, it includes that first look at the ship, plus some Richard Dean Anderson, the new cast, and some spectacular visuals that we won’t spoil here. You can watch this trailer here at GateWorld, or look for the HD version for free on iTunes (U.S. only)!
We’ve also published a gallery of more than 150 high-quality screen captures, to give you a closer look at all the pretty.
- THE PANEL. Friday morning Stargate fans packed out Ballroom 20, with an estimated crowd of more than 4,000 ready to meet the cast. After a second (and different) trailer was shown, Robert Carlyle, Ming-Na, David Blue, Alaina Huffman, Brian J. Smith, Jamil Walker Smith, Elyse Levesque, Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper took the stage and fielded questions about the series. Here’s our write-up of all the highlights.
- TRAILER #2! Following the panel Syfy posted the second trailer online for U.S. viewers. Outside the U.S., look for it on YouTube. This trailer runs about 2 and a half minutes, and includes more never before seen footage. We’ve also screen-capped this trailer for you.
- CAST PHOTOS. While the booth babes were handing out SGU mini-posters in San Diego, we posted the three new images in the Season One cast gallery.
- MEDIA COVERAGE. Meanwhile, other sites have been doing awesome stuff, too! We’ve been keeping up with links in the “On the Web” box (over on the right), which you can also subscribe to by RSS. (All of these headlines also go straight into GateWorld’s Twitter account.) Check out those links for individual interviews with Wright, Cooper, and various cast members.
- PODCAST. On this Wednesday’s show we’ll talk about all this and more as we debrief David on his trip!
Stargate Universe definitely has great buzz coming out of the media and fan event, with genre news site io9 ranking it #8 on its Comic-Con Top 10 list.
Don’t miss GateWorld’s continuing coverage as we countdown to the October 2 premiere of Stargate Universe on Syfy! Be sure to bookmark the SGU Launch Center, and use our custom RSS feeds to have breaking news delivered.