FEBRUARY IS N.I.D. MONTH!
First Aired: January 5, 2001
SG-1 must adjust to a new commanding officer when General Hammond steps down — but O’Neill discovers foul play behind the general’s resignation.
Our rewatch of favorite moments in Stargate history continues! Each month we’ll pick a theme, and feature a key episode every week. Join us by watching the episode this week, and then head to GateWorld Forum (or posting below) to talk about it!
Meet the N.I.D.:
- The Founder: Colonel Harry Maybourne
- The Successor: Frank Simmons
- Hello … Neumann.
- Trying to Go Legit: Malcolm Barrett
- Evolved Into: The Trust
“Chain Reaction” Facts:
- Actor Don S. Davis often cited “Chain Reaction” as among his favorite episodes. It gave viewers not only a look at General Hammond’s strength of character but also a rare glimpse at his home life. His grandchildren — Tessa and Kayla — were named after Stargate SG-1 co-creator Brad Wright’s own children.
- Now in its fourth year, the show had established both Senator Kinsey and the N.I.D. as foes located within the U.S. government itself. It was this episode that exposed secret ties between them, with Kinsey apparently receiving campaign donations from the N.I.D. and using his influence to help enact their agenda.
- Senator Kinsey’s political ambitions first announced in this episode would finally take him to the White House three years later: At the end of Season Seven he’s recently been elected Vice President (“Lost City”).
- Kinsey’s dog, Oscar, was played by Richard Dean Anderson’s real-life dog.
- As it was originally written, this episode ended with Jack looking the other way and allowing Maybourne to walk free. But producers decided that this would be out of character for Jack, and thus had Maybourne slipping away on his own (with a little help from a blackmailed Kinsey) to avoid going back to jail. (At this point, however, Maybourne has become a free agent — no longer working with the rogue element of the N.I.D. nor trying to advance their agenda.)
“Chain Reaction” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide
- Photo Gallery
- Screencap Gallery
- Discussion Forum
- Stargate SG-1 Season Four Podcast
- Interview with Ronny Cox (2003)
- Interview with Tom McBeath (2004)
- Interview with Don S. Davis (2006)
Rewatch “Chain Reaction” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the “Chain Reaction” discussion thread and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Every month we’re featuring a new theme from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the weekly episode with us join in the fun!