APRIL IS NIRRTI MONTH!
First Aired: August 3, 2001
Cassandra mysteriously falls ill, sending SG-1 back to her home planet — where they uncover a dark Goa’uld secret.
Our rewatch of favorite moments in Stargate history continues! Each month we’ll pick a theme, and feature a key episode every week. Join us by watching the episode this week, and then head to GateWorld Forum (or posting below) to talk about it!
Nirrti Is Bad News …
- Nirrti was once a System Lord, until her fellow Goa’uld stripped her of that rank and her territories for conspiring against them.
- She wiped out the population of Hanka (and that probably wasn’t the only planet).
- She has a cool personal cloaking device.
- She loves experimenting on the innocent, regardless of the consequences.
- What she wants most is a hok’taur to be her super-powered host!
“Rite of Passage” Facts:
- Actress Colleen Rennison takes over the role of young Cassandra, who was originally played by Katie Stuart back in Season One (“Singularity”). (The part had to be re-cast due to Stuart’s availability at the time.) Rennison actually became the third actress to portray Cassie. When SG-1 met an older version of the character in the future, she was played by Pamela Perry (“1969”).
- Rennison had actually already appeared on SG-1, playing the young street girl Ally in the Season Two episode “Bane.”
- Although Cassandra would be mentioned several times throughout the series, this is actually the character’s final appearance. Since she had been adopted by the S.G.C.’s Janet Fraiser, there weren’t many logical opportunities to see her again after Janet was killed off two years later.
- When last we saw Nirrti she was a powerful System Lord — but now, having been stripped of her territories and her armies, she is a rogue. But she still has the same personal agenda: figuring out how to create a “hok’taur,” an advanced human to serve as her next host.
- SG-1 returns to Cassandra’s home planet of Hanka — which, it turns out, was originally named after MGM executive and long-time Stargate supporter Hank Cohen.
“Rite of Passage” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide
- Photo Gallery
- Screecap Gallery
- Discussion Thread
- Stargate SG-1 Season Five Podcast
- Interview with Colleen Rennison (2009)
- Interview with Jacqueline Samuda (2004)
Rewatch “Rite of Passage” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the “Rite of Passage” discussion thread and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Every month we’re featuring a new theme from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the weekly episode with us join in the fun!