1. EryasDax
    EryasDax
    July 1, 2010 at 11:54 am |

Thank you, Chad, for such a interesting and insightful interview. Brian is a fine young actor with, in my opinion, a long and successful career ahead of him. In re-watching season 1.0 on the current DVDs, I am now seeing the nuances of many of the wonderful performances by much of the cast. Brian, in particular, has made many really good choices on things past the print on the script page. I believe that he will be more than capable of “holding his own” with exceptional actors such as Robert Carlyle and Louis Ferreira. Brian definitely has a screen presence and charisma plus a natural chemistry with many of the cast members. This will serve him well in his career. I am looking forward not just to season 2 of SGU (Gategeek that I am.) but to following his future projects.

And once again Chad, a job well done.

2. Eternal Density
    Eternal Density
    July 1, 2010 at 6:50 pm |

The link to this page on twitter actually points to https://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/06/leader-in-training/ which is of course a dead link.

3. asecooper222
    asecooper222
    July 2, 2010 at 1:14 am |

Hey Chad, great interview, Brian seems like a very down to earth guy :). Just wanted to point out, your caption on the first picture on Page 2 says he gives “Young” warning, when I’m pretty sure it should be “Rush”. Thanks again for the great interview, and I hope to see him at future cons!

4. JohnSN7
    JohnSN7
    July 2, 2010 at 12:36 pm |

I must respectfully disagree with the title and premise of the interview. Lt. Scott is not a good leader at all and he has certainly failed leadership training. He has slept with a direct subordinate and then dumped her without even facing her. He has directly disobeyed or questioned Young’s orders constantly (Space, Faith, and Subversion/Incursion Pt. 1 for example). He cannot lead if he cannot effectively serve.

5. Mentat
    Mentat
    July 2, 2010 at 2:37 pm |

Sorry BS, wrong again. I’d repeat anything I’ve written on the net about the show to your face at a convention and stand behind it.

6. Laeknir
    Laeknir
    July 2, 2010 at 8:57 pm |

Love this show, keep up the good work! Can’t wait to see season 2.

7. Imitation Tofu
    Imitation Tofu
    July 3, 2010 at 11:57 am |

Ditto, Mentat. It must be some sort of defense mechanism to label all online critics as basement dwelling insincere cowards. Smith has some gall to speak out against personal attacks on the internet when both he and his mother have been smearing everyone from fans to the owners of gateworld.

8. Vladius
    Vladius
    July 3, 2010 at 4:19 pm |

“You more than anyone know that there is a very vocal, partial section of fans of Stargate who are critical of SGU. If they haven’t already made up their minds, the ones that are on the fence that are actually going to keep watching, what would you say to keep them watching? Or come back and sample it again — the ones that aren’t aware of the good things that are going to come?”

This question was not answered in a satisfactory manner, I have to say.

9. US06154
    US06154
    July 5, 2010 at 9:04 am |

Leader in training? Sure, you are following on the footsteps of your leader. Col Young. He cheated on his wife and was sleaping around, and made a direct subordinate pregnant. You are sleaping around, and now only have to make Lt. James Pregnant. leader in the making, my backside!

10. wvsandy
    wvsandy
    July 5, 2010 at 12:29 pm |

Scott is not a leader, nor is he a character I can admire or like. Memo to BJS: not everyone is going to like you, your work, or the characters you play. Not everyone who dislikes you, your work, or the characters you play are basement dwelling trolls. Some of us just don’t like you, your work, or the characters you play. Accept that fact.

11. Summertime and the living is itchy « hookline and thinker
    July 5, 2010 at 5:00 pm |

[…] installment concerns fandom comments that one of its stars (Brian J. Smitn – Lt. Scott) made (https://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/07/leader-in-training/) during a recent […]

12. rac80
    rac80
    July 6, 2010 at 4:17 pm |

I understand that at a recent con BJS wasn’t too happy about having someone face him with complaints about his show/acting… a little over-sensitive maybe?

13. Jason96706
    Jason96706
    July 7, 2010 at 7:33 pm |

Brian I’m sure your a great guy but the best way to handle people who hate the show is just to say “Sorry you don’t like the show.” And than just move on.

14. Stormin
    Stormin
    July 7, 2010 at 10:24 pm |

Brian, Brian, Brian, sorry pal, but many of us who are critical of the show here on the internet would be more than happy to tell you to your face that we think the show is bad. I am not in my “basement” and I am not a hateful person. I have legitimate complaints and concerns about what has been done to the Stargate franchise. I dislike your character and the way he is portrayed as a poor military leader who lacks judgment and common sense. I’m more than qualified to comment on this matter having led troops at an officer in the military myself. Stop with the generalized description of people who are critical on the internet.

15. mikem
    mikem
    July 10, 2010 at 6:22 pm |

I always liked the premise of SG, but could never bring myself to watch it regularly until SGU came along. Despite it’s flaws, season 1 had some great moments! I think a lot of the cast (including Brian) does a great job! My only complaint is that the writers and directors need to understand their characters, and make them more consistent. Yes they are “all the wrong people”, but lets see some learn from their mistakes, grow, and emerge as leaders. Lets see some consistency in how they act and react. Lets not make them over-react at every turn just to create cheap drama or tension. The cheap sacrifce of the character in order to create drama is what makes us lose respect for characters like Scott.

I think Scott & Young can both be great characters, with a natural tension with Rush and Wray. They can all be imperfect, but they should each be consistent and true to their own character. A little more inteligence and consistency in the writing could turn this into a really amazing scifi action/drama without making all the characters seem cheap, reactive and unprofessional. Let’s not push this “all the wrong people” thing too far ;)

Of course, a few more battles outside the ship wouldn’t hurt either!