First Aired: May 4, 2007
After an Ancient device gives Rodney superhuman powers, his enhanced brilliance is checked only by his impending death — unless he can learn how to ascend.
“Tao of Rodney” Facts:
- Season One of Stargate Atlantis was full of these sorts of episodes: exploring the abandoned Ancient city, discovering things that get our team into trouble, and finding a solution in the nick of time. Here in Season Three, it’s more of a stand-out story that doesn’t require leaving the city.
- The Ancient brain scanner — or “Ascend-o-Meter” — was developed by SG-1 in the ninth season episode “Prototype.” It uses technology developed by Anubis to measure how close one is to the synaptic activity necessary for ascension.
- Actress Leela Savasta makes a brief appearance as Dr. Esposito in this episode. She would return in Season Five’s “Whispers” as a different character: Captain Alicia Vega.
- It’s kind of nice that Rodney ultimately failed to ascend in this episode. Daniel Jackson managed to cheat death a few times in this way, and the writers risked making ascension an easy, “get out of jail free” card. It also risked removing the metaphysical mystique that ascension had since it was introduced in “Maternal Instinct.”
“Tao of Rodney” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide
- Episode Transcript
- Fan Reviews
- Photo Gallery
- Screencap Gallery
- Discussion Forum
- Interview with David Hewlett (2007)
- Interview with Martin Gero (2007)
Rewatch “Tao of Rodney” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the episode discussion forum and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Each week we’re highlighting a favorite episode from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the episode with us this week and join in the fun!