First Aired: January 27, 2006
When Dr. McKay is trapped underwater in a sinking Puddle Jumper, his only chance for survival may be an hallucination of Samantha Carter.
“Grace Under Pressure” Facts:
- The episode’s title is a play on the SG-1 Season Seven episode “Grace,” which has a similar premise: Samantha Carter is trapped alone on board the Prometheus, and hallucinates her father and teammates after a head injury.
- Though this episode was Amanda Tapping‘s first appearance as a featured guest star on Stargate Atlantis, she had previously made a very short cameo — receiving the data burst from Atlantis in Season One’s “Letters From Pegasus.”
- Tapping filmed this episode following the birth of her daughter, shortly after returning from her maternity leave — which had taken her out of action for the first five episodes of SG-1‘s ninth season.
- Actor William MacDonald, who played the Puddle Jumper pilot who sacrificed himself to give Rodney a chance at survival, would later return to the franchise in the SGU episode “Lost.”
- The whale-like, undersea creature that helps to save McKay’s life also makes a return appearance — in the third season episode “Echoes,” bringing the city a warning of an impending natural disaster.
“Grace Under Pressure” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide
- Episode Review
- Episode Transcript
- Photo Gallery
- Screencap Gallery
- Discussion Forum
- Interview with David Hewlett (2005)
- Interview with Amanda Tapping (2005)
- Interview with writer Martin Gero (2006)
- Atlantis Season Two Podcast
Rewatch “Grace Under Pressure” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the episode discussion forum and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Each week we’re highlighting a favorite episode from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the episode with us this week and join in the fun!