First Aired: April 2, 2010
A mishap with the communication stones sends Colonel Young’s consciousness to an alien vessel, provoking the crew’s first extra-terrestrial encounter.
- “Space” is the first hour of SGU to be written by long-time series writer and producer Joseph Mallozzi.
- This episode was originally plotted to mark the end of the first half of SGU‘s premiere season, as the first half of a traditional mid-season two-parter (followed by “Divided”). But when an earlier episode was allowed to expand to two hours — “Darkness” and “Light” — during the course of production, the big reveal of the hostile alien race pursuing Destiny was pushed back to the start of Season 1.5 in the spring.
- Actor Darcy Laurie appeared in nine episodes in the recurring role of Airman Dunning. This is his first.
- Though the blue-skinned “Space” aliens would play a significant role on the show they were never officially named on screen. (Some fans were kind enough to supply the nickname “Blueberry Aliens.”) Producers knew heading into the new series that they wanted to go for fully-realized, computer-generated alien species populating the far reaches of the galaxy, and not actors with latex appliances on their foreheads and who speak English (a la Star Trek).
“Space” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide
- Episode Transcript
- Fan Reviews
- Photo Gallery
- Screencap Gallery
- Discussion Forum
- Stargate Universe Season One Podcast
- “Space” Podcast
- Interview with David Blue (2009)
- Interview with Elyse Levesque (2010)
- Interview with Brian J. Smith (2010)
Rewatch “Space” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the “Space” discussion forum and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Each week we’re highlighting a favorite episode from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the episode with us this week and join in the fun!