MAY IS GENII MONTH!
First Aired: August 27, 2004
Efforts to open trade relations with a species called the Genii turn sour when the team discovers their new “allies” have ulterior motives.
Our rewatch of favorite moments in Stargate history continues! Each month we’ll pick a theme, and feature a key episode every week. Join us by watching the episode this week, and then head to GateWorld Forum (or posting below) to talk about it!
Meet the Genii …
- They have a secret nuclear program underground
- Their leader, Cowen, had big plans …
- … until Ladon Radim decides to replace him in a coup d’etat
- The brilliant and ruthless military leader Acastus Kolya made himself a very personal enemy in John Sheppard
- In the meantime, enjoy a hot cup of tava bean coffee!
- The Genii were introduced early in Stargate Atlantis‘s first season as an enemy very different than the Wraith: fellow human beings living under the oppression of the Wraith, but who are hostile towards our team (for waking up their enemy) and oppose our way of doing things.
- The Genii’s backstory isn’t talked about much, but it is mentioned here, in their first appearance: many centuries ago they were an advanced culture, a coalition of several planets. But a millennium ago the Wraith drove them nearly to extinction, and they have slowly been building their resources back up since then.
- Colm Meaney (“Cowen”) joins a long line of former Star Trek cast members to appear on the Stargate franchise. Meaney’s fellow Deep Space Nine cast members Armin Shimerman (“Quark”) and Rene Auberjonois (“Odo”) appeared on SG-1; Nicole de Boer would appear on Atlantis in Season Five.
- This episode is only one of two SGA episodes written by long-time Stargate director Peter Deluise. (The other is Season One’s “The Defiant One.”)
“Underground” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide
- Episode Transcript
- Photo Gallery
- Screencap Gallery
- Discussion Forum
- Atlantis Season One Podcast
- Interview with Robert Davi (2011)
- Interview with Joe Flanigan (2004)
- Interview with Rachel Luttrell (2005)
- Interview with Brad Wright & Robert C. Cooper (2005)
Download “Underground” now from Amazon or iTunes!
Rewatch “Underground” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the episode discussion thread and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Every month we’re featuring a new theme from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the weekly episode with us join in the fun!
The Genii were a fantastic frenemy for Atlantis. They had some of the best episodes. Made for some incredible storytelling and lore. I still find it strange that we never found out what happened to Sora after The Storm / The Eye (which I assume will be the episodes covered next).