JULY IS STAR TREK MONTH!
First Aired: July 7, 2000
A warring alien race offers to exchange their advanced technology for Earth’s help in defeating their enemy.
Our rewatch of favorite moments in Stargate history continues! Each month we’ll pick a theme, and feature a key episode every week. Join us by watching the episode this week, and then head to GateWorld Forum (or posting below) to talk about it!
“To Boldly Go …”
- Main cast members from four out of the five Star Trek TV series guest starred on Stargate. Only actors from the Original Series cast didn’t make an appearance.
- This month we’re celebrating Trek on Stargate to mark the theatrical release of Star Trek Beyond, opening July 22! Which were your favorite Trek actor guest spots?
“The Other Side” Facts:
- Actor Rene Auberjonois (“Odo” on Deep Space Nine) guest stars as Alar, leader of the Eurondans. But the first Trek actor to appear on Stargate SG-1 was his DS9 co-star, Armin Shimerman (“Quark”), who appeared all the way back in Season One’s “The Nox.”
- Anne Marie Loder also guest stars as Alar’s second-in-command, Farrell. Two years later, Loder would marry director Peter DeLuise. (He also named a character after her in “The First Ones,” which he wrote and directed later this same season.)
- Stephen Park, who played a Eurondan technician in a small role, returned in Season Nine as the face of Harrid — a citizen of the Ori’s home galaxy who Daniel traded places with using the communication stone.
- The giant Eurondan power generator bears a striking resemblance to one used by Hathor, which she also was using to create a large force field (“Into the Fire”). This was likely unintentional, possibly the result of reused CGI, and not an implication that the Goa’uld were involved in Eurondan affairs.
- Producer Joseph Mallozzi says that he laughed at the alien props that DeLuise was so fond of in his episodes — including the rather counter-intuitive drinking glasses on display on Euronda. “In fact,” he said, “I believe Rick made a gag of it in the episode by going to take a sip, giving the glass a curious look, then turning it around and drinking from the backside.”
“The Other Side” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide
- Episode Review
- Photo Gallery
- Screencap Gallery
- Discussion Forum
- Stargate SG-1 Season Four Podcast
- Interview with Director Peter DeLuise (2005)
Rewatch “The Other Side” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the “Other Side” discussion thread and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Every month we’re featuring a new theme from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the weekly episode with us join in the fun!