1. Browncoat1984
    Browncoat1984
    July 28, 2012 at 3:04 pm |

The more I think about it the more I think I would be interested in seeing what his vision for a Stargate trilogy would be and how it would have differed from the TV series.

However, he could have a problem here. When Stargate Universe was announced, some fans of SG-1 and Atlantis did not like it because of how different it was from tone and feel to those shows. And Universe was part of the TV franchise.

Now, what would reception be to announcement of a new Stargate movie that has absolutely NO connection to the TV show? I hope Devlin takes into account that the reason Stargate has been so popular isn’t because of his movie, but because of the TV show. And I hope if MGM decides to go through with this they remember that fans of SG-1/Atlantis/Universe would like to see conclusions to those shows (remember, they promised us Atlantis and SG-1 movies we never got).

Ideally, here’s how I would like to see it pan out – they film Stargate 2 while at the same time film some sort of epic trilogy conclusion or something to the Stargate SG-1/Atlantis/Universe TV shows. Filming the conclusions would finally give us the closure we want that we never got (except for SG-1 really through Ark of Truth and Continuum) while doing that, Devlin works on Stargate 2 and 3 and AFTER the conclusions to the TV shows aired.

I think it would really work well like that. That way, Devlin & Co are happy they got to tell their story, we fans of SG-1/Atlantis and Universe are happy that we got to finally see the end of those stories, and we got more Stargate both in theaters and on TV.

And maybe while they’re doing this, MGM is prepping for a brand new Stargate show (that maybe is set up with the conclusion to SG-1/Atlantis/Universe) to air after the trilogy is finished (much like what I’ve heard is being done with Star Trek, after Star Trek 2 or 3 they do a TV show).

2. MacSmith
    MacSmith
    July 28, 2012 at 4:13 pm |

@Browncoat
    Well said!

3. GoodThings2Life
    GoodThings2Life
    July 28, 2012 at 4:14 pm |

I’ll be honest, I could stand to see his vision of what Stargate was meant to be. I think the Stargate fans are largely intelligent enough to accept it as well, and there’s plenty of casual sci-fi fans that will remember the movie and appreciate it as something new.

4. Kanten
    Kanten
    July 28, 2012 at 4:14 pm |

I’d say look at the upcoming Buffy remake to see about how well this would go over with the existing fanbase.

Devlin and Emmerich may have created the concept, but it was people like Cooper, Wright and Glassner that made it into what the general public recognizes.

It’d be nice to see the direction Devlin intended to go with the Stargate series, but not if it’s coming at the cost of the existing franchise.

The smart move would be to offer some sort of announcement of a new entry in the television franchise alongside this, otherwise the fanbase is going to be annoyed that the canon they became so invested in is being thrown under the bus.

If say…SGU were to come back (which will never happen with Syfy being Syfy and MGM’s new ownership), sure, I’d love to see another Stargate film.

5. pmartin1
    pmartin1
    July 28, 2012 at 5:35 pm |

The original movie loosely fits in with the show’s canon. While I’m Interested to see how Devlin’s movies would differ from where the show went, I would much rather have the loose ends from the two shows that were just left hanging.

Maybe 5 – 10 years down the road someone will step in a do a reboot (seems to be the trend these days). There are so many sides to the SG universe that are left unexplored. I don’t see why they wouldn’t want to go in a different direction from where the show went.

But definitely wrap up the loose ends before we start branching out and exploring the untold stories that lie within the realm.

6. sgcduffman
    sgcduffman
    July 28, 2012 at 5:42 pm |

Really? he created Stargate the movie but has never even watched the series, you think after maybe 5 seasons that would peak his interest, but 10 seasons and 2 spin offs, and you’ve never watched an episode… Nope I will not watch his trilogy. You don’t give my show the time of day, I won’t your squeals.

7. Tekrelm
    Tekrelm
    July 28, 2012 at 6:05 pm |

I would like to see that movie. It’s not going to be anything like either of the shows, but since they’re being totally up-front about that, no one should be expecting it to be. With Universe, they pulled the rug out from under us. Sure, they said it’d have differences, but we were all thinking that it would still be a Stargate show underneath, and it wasn’t. With this new movie, I know to mentally set the TV franchise aside ahead of time. Then I get to see a completely different take on the property. That’s cool! I don’t know if it’s going to be any good, of course, and I can’t even start with the expectation of it being good like I did with Universe, because there’s a clean break between this movie and both the TV shows; it doesn’t have any of the same cast or crew working on it. But it could be cool on its own. I hope it gets made. I’m very interested to see what they do with it!

8. shermacidal
    shermacidal
    July 28, 2012 at 6:07 pm |

@sgcduffman
    Really good point. You re not even curious with the direction they took YOUR story? Anyway,id much prefer proper series conclusions for atlantis and universe, but i will def go see a new stargate movie. Money and attention is what will get us more SG shows. a blockbuster summer release of a stargate movie in imax would do that.

9. daffymjb
    daffymjb
    July 28, 2012 at 6:12 pm |

Great!
    Make it…………….

10. TheUnending
    TheUnending
    July 28, 2012 at 8:37 pm |

@Sgcduffman: I agree with Shermacidal, VERY VERY well said.

To be honest, the fact that he hasn’t watched the series at all makes me kind of frustrated. He wants to basically make his movies as if 10 season of SG-1, 5 seasons of Atlantis, and 2 seasons of Universe never happened. Honestly, that is insulting to all the fans that love the show and its also insulting to the people that made the Stargate franchise extremely popular.

To be honest, I think that his sequels will probably belly flop(aka: fail) if he ignores 17 total seasons of Stargate and acts as if they never happened since that would make him lose most if not all of the people that love Stargate(the series, not the movie).

I think MGM should consider un-shelving the movies that were planned for the Stargate Franchise(the SGA movie, the Universe movie, and the third SG-1 movie).

11. ictus75
    ictus75
    July 28, 2012 at 9:27 pm |

While they’re at it, someone should do a Farscape film that has absolutely nothing to do with the series. I’m sure that would go over…

12. majorsal
    majorsal
    July 28, 2012 at 11:50 pm |

the original stargate movie was mediocre. the TV stargate series (sg1) brought heart and soul to the concept.

going back to the devlin stargate is downgrading the wonderful stargate concept.

(((casts of sg1, atlantis, sgu)))

13. Sylvia
    Sylvia
    July 29, 2012 at 12:54 am |

I don’t really mind if he wants to make a movie, but what bothers me is that if MGM gets invested in his project I think we can kiss any continuation of our TV Stargates good bye. This will be STARGATE to MGM and I’m not sure they will recognize the differing fandoms for the movies and the various series.

14. tonkinite
    tonkinite
    July 29, 2012 at 1:44 am |

Ironically, as a big fan of the Stargate movie, when I saw the first Stargate SG-1 episodes, I thought the show was going to be A JOKE. Really. But when I saw that the characters and script were so compelling and the sets were so fantastic, I fell in love. Over time when I re-watched the movie, it came to seem narrow minded and naive in some ways. I could also see it as being an parallel universe version of the SG-1 universe (brings to mind the O’Neil vs. O’Neill jokes).

As a big fan of the movie, I am VERY interested in what Devlin *originally* had in mind for his trilogy, but a lot of water (in the form of the TV series and fanbase experience) has gone under the bridge since that time. I’ve been reading these Devlin Stargate posts and thinking “Buddy, that ship sailed a long time ago…” (especially as both Russel & Spader are a bit long in the tooth at this point).

If Devlin gets to complete his trilogy and the screenplays are written without Devlin et. al. not having at least reviewing the events and scope of the Stargate TV series (yes, all of them), the result is going to be IMHO a complete disaster. However, if Devlin does do his homework, the entire thing could be a big win-win for everyone. There could even be a Stargate series / Stargate movie multi-universe cross over (though hopefully extremely well plotted and not over the top), I can just imagine the two Jacks meeting each other :-)

We’ll see.

15. buddyglenn
    buddyglenn
    July 29, 2012 at 3:25 am |

Sylvia is right. If MGM makes a “Stargate” film with Dean Devlin, there will not be a continuation with the TV cast…nail in the coffin. Nothing in that TV timeline. This is their version of the “Star Trek” reboot…in some ways. We have to realize the SG-related TV shows/TV-movies/straight-to-DVD-films are history.

16. silurian
    silurian
    July 29, 2012 at 5:46 am |

I loved the movie and would be delighted to see what Devlin would do with a continuation. Don’t get me wrong, I loved SG1 too but it did have its flaws and frankly Stargate was always about Daniel Jackson to me, whether played by Spader or Shanks. So bring it on, I reckon.

17. grif
    grif
    July 29, 2012 at 8:53 am |

they better not reboot it. if you want to make sequels. go ahead. but do not remake the first movie.

18. TheUnending
    TheUnending
    July 29, 2012 at 11:49 am |

To be honest, I don’t think MGM will bite. I think MGM realizes that Devlin wants to do a reboot style thing and completely ignore all 17 seasons of Stargate shows. MGM knows that they have a large fan base that loves the series and they know if they ignore the series and let Devlin do what he wants they’ll probably lose 75% of that fan base and the movie will have poor amounts of profit no matter what way they release it.

I think MGM would much rather take the other Stargate movies that were shelved off the shelf and make them before they’d try and make a complete re-boot.

If they decide not to do Devlin’s idea and also decide to not do the other movies that were shelved then I’m guessing we’ll be looking at a re-boot series(or maybe a continuation series) in a few years time.

19. Thunderbird 2
    Thunderbird 2
    July 29, 2012 at 4:49 pm |

I stand by my comments in the last article on this matter. – It also seems foolhardy for a film and tv producer to be pushing for their continuation of the original concept – without paying the slightest bit of attention to what made the alternative (Ie SG1) such a massive commercial success.

If Star Trek and Galactica are anything to go by, it may end up that we end up with an unrecognisable “re imagining” of SG1 at some unspecified point in the future.

20. catwoman13618
    catwoman13618
    July 29, 2012 at 4:59 pm |

to be completely honest i could care less how many movies this guy made. Ive never even watched the first one all the way through. I couldnt do it. Maybe its because I started watching the show before I ever knew there was a movie and the characters were just all wrong…who knows. But Im sorry 17 seasons and you have never watched it, but you expect people to just accept parts 2 and 3 of “your” trilogy? Im sorry I just dont see it happening. I would however like to get our Atlantis and SG-1 movies, and I would also like them to somehow wrap up Universe because I NEED to know what happens to that crew. 2 seasons may not be all that much in light of how long the other 2 were on for, but I got attached to those characters and to not know if Eli succeeded in fixing the last pod, or figured out a way to get supplies…hell maybe they are all still floating around in those pods…We as fans need to know how all 3 of those series ended. The 2 SG-1 movies that we got tied up that storyline but not the show. And Atlantis…oh wow they flew the city to San Fran. Now What?? That is what we were left with and they need to fix it, not make 2 movies that have nothing to do with any of them. His original trilogy will not make sense in any form if he doesnt tie them in with the series, and with 3 amazing casts, whats he going to do have complete “strangers” play our beloved SG-1, SGA or SGU crews? Thats not gonna fly either pal.

21. catwoman13618
    catwoman13618
    July 29, 2012 at 5:00 pm |

His efforts and funds would be better spent giving us fans what we want

22. skittles
    skittles
    July 30, 2012 at 8:03 am |

I have no interest in seeing these films. Devlin’s a piss-poor writer, and his movies usually suck. Even Stargate was not a good film. SG-1 is why Stargate is popular, not that film, and he’s deluding himself if he thinks sequels that ignore that TV continuity would be well-received. They’d be inferior to the TV series in every way–just as his first film was.

23. The_Elite_Elite
    The_Elite_Elite
    July 30, 2012 at 10:44 am |

While I do admit to being curious about what the original vision for Stargate was, I don’t care to see any new Stargate project that is just going to ignore what’s come out since the original movie. If there’s going to be money spent on a Stargate project do the Atlantis movie and third SG-1 movie. (And the SGU movie for those who liked that show) Don’t spend it on movies that are just going to pretend the TV shows never happened.

24. Mollymouse
    Mollymouse
    July 30, 2012 at 11:37 am |

I don’t believe his comments about never watching the show. I think that’s a bit of a vanity play. I would, as others have said, be interested in what their trilogy concept was. Probably the best thing would be for them to use different SG units and not “our” SG-1. It would be a little easier to swallow.

25. Scully
    Scully
    July 30, 2012 at 3:29 pm |

Unfortunately for me I fell in love with my first girlfriend. I learned that while there may be others, you always want to compare. I wish but dont believe for a nano-second we will ever have a continuation of the SG-1 or Atlantis series.

26. TW
    TW
    July 30, 2012 at 5:49 pm |

I hope not the movie sucked compared to the series

27. h1016482
    h1016482
    July 31, 2012 at 1:37 am |

Claiming his sequels will fail without SG-1 is rubbish. The average movie goer who makes up majority of ticket sales could care less about the politics, and probably have never even heard of SG-1.

All they have to do is write the movie well, make it well, and market it well. If they do those three things, the movie has a very good chance of success.

To expect everything to be SG-1 is also a bit selfish, because some people like both the TV series and film, and some people just prefer the film. You should learn to be considerate of other people’s opinions, instead of think yours is absolute truth; especially when you (fans of only TV series) have 214 episodes + 2 films for SG-1 alone, then you add Atlantis, Universe, and Infinity.

The film universe on the other hand has a run-time of only 2 hours, and you want to gripe and moan about a direct sequel in the film universe? Fans only of the TV series have had 10+ years of content to watch, and yet can’t stand to see the film universe get a measly 4 additional hours of footage? That’s really selfish.

Many franchises evolve and have their own universes. Saying that Stargate can only exist with SG-1 is a bit like the fans of the 1960s Batman show complaining about Tim Burton adapting the movie to film in 1989.

And to worry that the film universe would destroy the Stargate franchise is laughable. It is the very reason SG-1 existed. And honestly the statistics suggest that an SG-1 movie is actually the one with a higher chance of failure financially.
    The 1994 film more than tripled its money, while both SG-1 movies barely turned a profit.

Stargate (1994) – Budget=$55 million | Box Office= $196,567,262 (This is JUST ticket sales)

SG-1 Ark of Truth – Budget=$7,000,000 | DVD sales=$8,963,914

SG-1 Continuum – Budget=$7,000,000 | DVD sales=$8,055,900

28. samcamfan
    samcamfan
    July 31, 2012 at 4:07 am |

One thing Stargate SG1 taught us is that there are many different realities out there. Who is not to say that in one of them, Devlin’s vision for the saga didn’t come to pass? As a huge fan of the SG1/SGU/SGA alternate universe / reality theories, I for one am looking forward to it. More Stargate is… well, more Stargate!

29. knoweyedhermit
    knoweyedhermit
    July 31, 2012 at 6:45 am |

The original Stargate Film is one of my favourite movies from when I was a child. From what I can tell, MGM has given up on the TV Universe. I , for one, am incredibly interested in what Devlin had in mind for if he were to finish the project he created. I love the TV series, but if this is the only chance we’re going to get to see Stargate in the next few years, then I’d far prefer Stargate 2 to a complete reboot!

30. jeffoconnor
    July 31, 2012 at 2:56 pm |

@h1016482

While I respect the thrust of your statement, I feel as though comparing those numbers is a bit of an apples-and-oranges scenario. Both of SG-1’s outings were released straight to DVD, and Continuum in particular was released a time with sluggish DVD sales. The fact that they did indeed turn a profit is somewhat noteworthy, really, given their $7 million price tags.

Still, there’s always something to be said for results, and SG-1: Revolution doesn’t and likely won’t ever exist. Funding is funding, and the original Stargate movie has surely made at least $7 million in DVD/Blu Ray sales over the years on top of that nearly $200 million it raked in back in ’94. Those are strong numbers. These sequels could definitely stand a shot at happening.

I don’t think the movies are going to have the strong writing you list as a requirement, not if Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich are involved, but that’s a “me” thing. Like you said, the first movie has its fans. My own mother counts herself as one of them, and could never get into SG-1. That makes me sad on a personal level, but IDIC, right?

And if the sequels do well at the box office, that’s going to be what gets Stargate back on TV, hopefully with the “right” people at the helm. If they perform poorly, once again, it comes down to raw data, and the franchise will be looked-upon more negatively again in the eyes of TPTB.

31. majorsal
    majorsal
    July 31, 2012 at 5:31 pm |

jeffoconnor said: (replying to ‘h1016482’): “While I respect the thrust of your statement, I feel as though comparing those numbers is a bit of an apples-and-oranges scenario. Both of SG-1′s outings were released straight to DVD, and Continuum in particular was released a time with sluggish DVD sales. The fact that they did indeed turn a profit is somewhat noteworthy, really, given their $7 million price tags.”

‘continuum’ also had blu-ray sells that aren’t reflected in the sales figures. ‘continuum’ actually made more money than ‘ark of truth’. i don’t have the numbers on hand, but someone(s) at gateworld had the figures.

32. DancerChick1982
    August 1, 2012 at 12:42 am |

Sounds like a great idea, but I’m wondering how much the films would deviate from what the TV show did. I love both the movie and SG-1, but it just feels like two completely different things. And I know I heard Kurt Russell wanted to play Jack again, but I don’t think people associate him with the franchise the way they associate Richard Dean Anderson with it. I did like Kurt Russell in it, and dare I say it, it was the only instance of me liking James Spader. But I like Michael Shanks better.

I own the original film on DVD (Artisan Ultimate Edition, which was much better than the MGM print!), both SG-1 films (Ark of Truth and Continuum) on Blu-Ray, and I have the DVD of Children of the Gods (I like how the right edits made it feel like a feature film). I would pony up the money to see another Stargate film in theaters, and while I’m not for the use of 3D as a ploy, I would love to see the effect of the gate opening in 3D or in the very least, IMAX.

33. methos1x
    methos1x
    August 2, 2012 at 11:20 am |

I personally would like to see the conclusions to the shows before any movies that ignore the existance of the shows are made.

Once a new movie is made, that will close the doors on SG-1, Atlantis and SGU. the same way Trek 2009 closed the doors on the original trek universe. I would rather not see that happen until they wrap up the outstanding storylines.

34. Morganlefay
    Morganlefay
    August 2, 2012 at 1:57 pm |

Thing about completing his trilogy, SG-1 already did that. They stepped in, a couple of years after the events of Stargate, and ran with that storyline.
    SG-1 wrapped up the Goauld story line, with the destruction of Abydos. I think if this guy wants a successful addition to Stargate, he really needs to sit down and screen SG-1, at least the major story points. So we don’t wind up with another “footloose”, or “Total Recall”, where they replaced the original actors, re-filmed the movies.
    I just don’t see parts Stargate 2, and Stargate 3 being successful by ignoring SG-1. Truth be known, this will prolly stare him in the face, from start to finish.
    I would tend to agree with other posters on this thread, let’s see some wraps up’s to SGA, and SGU?

35. Stoko
    Stoko
    August 4, 2012 at 11:44 am |

I’d be intrigued, especially as I remember reading that the sequel they’d originally envisioned would’ve taken place roughly the same length of time after the first one as it’s actually been in real life. Assuming that’s actually true and not just convenient hyperbole.

Honestly though, I was more intrigued years ago (I think when SG-1 was still on the air?) by the rumour Gateworld posted that the movie was going to be remade by the TV crew, with RDA and Michael Shanks etc. Now that would’ve been worth watching!

I mean, let’s remind ourselves. In Devlin’s Stargate, Abydos was in another galaxy. The Goa’uld weren’t parasitical snakes, they weren’t even called the Goa’uld. I mean these are really basic things. I’m not saying a movie wouldn’t be interesting to see, or even good, but it wouldn’t be the Stargate we know and enjoy.

36. Aquaguy
    Aquaguy
    August 4, 2012 at 8:44 pm |

I believe that a true Stargate fan should accept Stargate in any flavor,a movie, a tv show… I would embrace this project with 100% excitement.

In some part I blame the “fans” who turned their backs on the franchise when SGU was presented, even before it was scripted or aired, that in conjunction with MGM’s “bankruptcy” killed the franchise… at leas for now.

I hope to see more Stargate soon.

37. flickshtain
    flickshtain
    August 5, 2012 at 8:48 am |

Yes, of course you’re right. Details do not match. But these details can easily be brought to compliance with the first film. Remember, the system of Lords, the man was a personal servant, not Jaffa. Warriors of Ra, too, were human beings. Method of entry into a person could differ. Ra was the first. His method may be imperfect, and in time could be improved and changed. I think the other part can fit, too. After all, we’re talking about science fiction, right?

38. Cay
    Cay
    August 6, 2012 at 12:43 pm |

I’d really like to know when it’s set. Is it present day, because the Milky Way galaxy is pretty open right now for anything. Though it scares me that Devlin has not seen the series. I am curious if Kurt Russell or Richard Dean Anderson play Jack and what his rank would be, as long as it fits somewhere in the canon, I’ll be happy. It does give me some hope for the series since they’ll have to rebuild all the sets for the SGC.

To be clear, I want nothing more than another couple seasons of SGU and a conclusion to SGA, then another dozen successful series to follow. Hopefully the theory that if MGMs next set of movies do great; The Hobbit and James Bond, then GI Joe and RoboCop, they’ll have the finical security to invest in tv again. And with new Devlin built SGC sets, why not make another direct to dvd movie to at least conclude Atlantis.[..then a Daniel/Sheppard/Ronan/McKay rescue mission to Destiny.]

39. jakeslapper
    jakeslapper
    August 6, 2012 at 1:29 pm |

What would be hilarious is if Stargate 2 and 3 blow up the whole storyline of SG1, Atlantis, and SGU. I’m very psyched about two more movies coming out. Awesome sauce!

40. Romulus
    Romulus
    August 6, 2012 at 6:04 pm |

I was the fan of of the original movie, before I saw the TV show and I watched the show because of the movie. To me both are great except for the SGU. Which had overused emotional teenage angst mixed with too much backstabbing in order to gain better position of power. I am really glad that SGU was cancelled and I am ready to hear all of you badmouth, curse and threaten me on my opinion.

41. skittles
    skittles
    August 7, 2012 at 12:27 am |

Aquaguy: The “true fan” concept is elitist nonsense. There’s no such thing as a “true fan.” You’re a fan or you’re not; no one is pretending to be a fan. Elitism is unnecessary.

42. medegno51
    medegno51
    August 11, 2012 at 5:27 pm |

Doth sayeth Devlin:

“The thing is, clearly — look, I don’t know the TV series. I didn’t watch it, I wasn’t involved in making it. But the fact that it had such longevity and has such a giant fan base … clearly they did something that was worthwhile.”

Okay. I agree with you at this point…

“But I think it shows that there is an audience that wants to hear this story told. So I think there’s a lot of interest in trying to make that happen.”

TRANSLATION: “I wanna piece of that Stargate action (which was mine at first, btw), now that a new regime is in control, and I get the chance to wow them with my name and film-making pedigree. ‘Ringzap’, er, ‘Stargate’, would be the perfect vehicle to get me- eh, I mean, MGM- back on the trail to relevance again.”

(Hooray for Holly-weird, eh?)

43. hugojwm
    hugojwm
    August 14, 2012 at 8:26 am |

The sequels sound like a good idea, but if you look at the original movie, rah was an azguard / grey alien that found a way to posses human bodies, in the TV series rah was depicted as a goa’uld which are snake / eel like creatures that posess humans and use them as hosts. two entirely different concepts. I see how Atlantis was connected to sg1 where they discovered that the 8th cheveron was linked to the pegasus galaxy and in universe where the 9th cheveron was linked to a ship that is on a course of who knows where billions of light years away from the milky way. I personally think the TV series is way more evolved than the original story, the only thing that the original story can keep is the fact that there is a stargate and it has military control and its a big secret lol.

44. mortimerbooks
    mortimerbooks
    August 17, 2012 at 2:56 am |

Devlin is living in the past. A ten season TV series, two spin-off’s and two successful DVD movies and he doesn’t even bother to take a look?

He obviously believes that his vision for the story is the only acceptable one.

Let’s be honest here, the original movie wasn’t great. What was interesting about it were its concepts and its ideas.

All of those ideas has been developed far beyond anything Devlin could have done with another two movies.

In any case, he won’t get that chance. Not even those who greenlit “Zookeeper” are stupid enough to give it the go ahead.

If we have any hope it’s in the potential future revival of the direct to DVD Atlantis movie; the success of that might actually give us some hope of a decent conclusion to the Universe cliffhanger.

Not that I think there’s a snowballs chance in hell of that happening. We’ve probably seen the end of the Stargate franchise as a whole.

45. jd823592
    jd823592
    November 5, 2012 at 6:36 pm |

The original movie was much more mature. I grew up watching the series, i always loved it – BUT – its just effects, the story has holes. It changed a lot since the first series. I think the more humble concept was better. The story shifted from the “Stargate” to hunting new and new enemies in cheeper and cheeper costumes. Open endings, Ori … that all could be a story told by something that would not be called Stargate and no one would ever connect it to the universe. So why do you people keep complaining… the tv show is what deviated from the original concept… Dean Devlin deserves to tell his story (thats my point of view). You do not need to watch it. There are a lot of people who liked the movie and will love the sequels. The elegance is in the movie not trying to put billions of different technologies / races etc. into one story.

46. NorthCoast42
    NorthCoast42
    November 7, 2012 at 9:46 pm |

I agree with the general sentiment. How could the creator of the original movie not have seen any of the 17 Stargate seasons…spinoffs of his own creation? If that’s true(I doubt it), it speaks to a singularly uninquisitive mind. I’m a huge fan of SG-1 and Atlantis. Very disappointed with SG-U. A soap opera in space with a very dark and constantly depressing story line, too often showcasing the worst of humanity. Terrific original concept but it immediately took a wrong turn. The constant drum of dark depressing melodrama killed the show for me. I will be interested to see a sequel to the original movie but from my perspective, the series SG-1 WAS the sequel…a wonderful 10 seasons of sequel! It went where no single movie or trilogy of movies could ever go and had 10 years to weave an incredible storyline through the complexity of the multi-verse. What made SG-1 the best Sci-Fi series in history (my opinion) was not just the writing (consistently outstanding) or the production values (superb for a television show), or the authenticity of their military environment (full cooperation and endorsement from the USAF), it was also the cast and the very real chemistry they had together. I enjoyed the original movie. It was a fresh and original story with enormous potential but it did not possess the chemistry the series developed. When and if Mr. Devlin gets his shot at a sequel, if he doesn’t pay attention to what made the series great, he’ll lose the fan base very quickly. If the movie is good enough, it could do very well without engaging the fan base but that’s a pretty tall order. Personally, I’d much rather see a new SG-1 and/or Atlantis movie…especially Atlantis with the Atlantis cast. I was disappointed that it ended after “only” five seasons with so many issues yet to be resolved. I’ll go see the Stargate sequel(s) if they appear …with cautious optimism.

47. guitarjesus
    guitarjesus
    November 29, 2012 at 5:14 pm |

I think one has to give Devlin a little room here. Stargate was his concept originally, and we must take him at his word that he intended it to be a trilogy. He gave credence to the show, knew it had an impact on his original property, but he’s a writer! From an artistic standpoint, if he watched the whole series of intellectual properties that is the Stargate universe, he possibly gets into muddy waters with ripping off the shows. He very well might have avoided them because he knew he wanted to return to the franchise. Lets give him some wiggle room here. Stargate was the first in what would be a trilogy. Much akin to Christopher Nolan and Batman. Batman Begins was nowhere near as good to me as Dark Knight or TDKR, yet it was still a great movie. Nolan didn’t read the comics,he liked the show as a kid. So let’s give the man the benefit of the doubt. Afterall, he created the template that gave us our beloved universe. Would Stan Lee be lynched for wanting to make his own Spiderman movies away from what’s been produced already?

48. greets
    greets
    January 17, 2013 at 12:43 am |

I wonder if the original actors would be reused. I really enjoyed Richard Dean Anderson as Jack O’neill, but Kurt Russel did a good job. The only really confusing part about the idea of this trilgy is that both the show and the next two movies would have the very same introdutcion story with completely different endings. I feel that after all this time spent creating the currently known Stargate universe makes it almost taboo for Devlin to go back and create a completely new story regardless of the fact that the original concept was his idea. Seeing the whole original Stargate story played out in only two following movies would be a hard pill to swallow after several years of incredible television series. It would just seem so insignificant compared to the level of epic that the shows achieved in all this time.

49. CRAsucks
    CRAsucks
    February 26, 2013 at 8:24 pm |

I think it was a complete management failure to stop producing Atlantis and Universe. I can understand that some of the actors moved on with SG1, but with the new replacements it was holding its own. Atlantis definitely had more steam in it, it was disappointing to not see at least another couple seasons or a movie or 2 to wrap that up. SGU lost a lot of people due to the long breaks between episodes, but it was getting really good in the end, with a ton of places to go. It is particularly disappointing that SGU was cut off when it was. However when it comes to Sci-Fi, it seems the management types are completely out of touch with what is good and what isn’t. Anyone that would drop anyone of the Stargate series for shows like Honey Boo Boo, needs their head examined, then fired.
    I think SGU should be started up again. I also think that MGM needs to figure out how to track the viewers better. Apparently with TIVO and PVR’s they do not get a true representation of the people watching. I am not sure why this is, a tuner is a tuner, whether it is being recorded or watched realtime, it is still tuned in. But for whatever the reason, I think MGM is not aware of how big and dedicated the fan base is for Stargate. I also think they underestimate that a Sci-Fi should will most likely have more technical people watching it, which means, PVR, TIVO, streaming, etc.

50. CRAsucks
    CRAsucks
    February 26, 2013 at 8:27 pm |

Typo, my last sentence should have said “Sci-Fi Show” :-)

51. eltrickster
    eltrickster
    March 7, 2013 at 12:46 pm |

I hope he doesn’t get the Stargate franchise because I don’t see their being a possibility of sequels after he gets the franchise. Just went on to MGM’s facebook and every comment on their is to do with Stargate so hopefully now that they have a bit of capital they start up Stargate again by maybe doing a mini series to see if they are to bring back a full series will it be profitable enough.

52. Cyrene
    Cyrene
    April 8, 2013 at 7:33 pm |

Unfortunately, I’m not real interested in his movies. I saw the Stargate movie before the series, but it wasn’t very memorable. What made all the Stargates (SG-1, Atlantis, SGU)so endearing was the cast, the crossovers of the characters…kept it all connected. I won’t watch the new movies, but I’d love to see the wrap-ups of the existing Stargates that need it, and I’d even love to see a new Stargate series pop out. Then I’m all in.