First Aired: March 18 & 25, 2005
SG-1 travels back in time in a daring plan to steal a piece of Ancient technology from Ra, the powerful Goa’uld who ruled in ancient Egypt.
Following last week’s rewatch of “Children of the Gods” we’re keeping up our theme of Stargate feature film tie-ins. This week it’s SG-1‘s 2-part eighth season finale, the one and only time that the (late) Supreme System Lord Ra ever appeared on the television series.
- SG-1 traveled in time every now and again, but this episode is by a long shot the farthest they ever went: some 5,000 years into the past, when Ra ruled on Earth.
- Under that great big mask Ra is played by Jay Williams. He returned with a brief Ra cameo in the DVD movie Stargate: Continuum.
- Catherine Langford’s niece, Sabrina Gosling, was named after author and Stargate fan Sharon Gosling — who interviewed the cast many times for Titan’s official Stargate magazine and “Illustrated Companion” book series.
- There’s a big question left open after the events of “Moebius” result in an altered timeline moving forward (one in which SG-1 never went into the past): Does the time ship recovered from Maybourne’s planet still exist? It seems like it would — that that mission took place as we saw it in “It’s Good To Be King,” and the U.S. military still has the ship.
- After eight years and 174 episodes, “Moebius, Part 2” is Richard Dean Anderson’s final episode as a main cast member — though he would, of course, return for several guest appearances.
- What happened to the Z.P.M. that is recovered in this episode? It was found just in the nick of time: the power device was taken to Atlantis and used to defend the city from the Wraith siege in the SGA first season finale.
“Moebius” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide (Part 1)
- Episode Guide (Part 2)
- Photo Gallery (Part 1)
- Screencap Gallery (Part 1)
- Photo Gallery (Part 2)
- Screencap Gallery (Part 2)
- Discussion Thread (Part 1)
- Discussion Thread (Part 2)
- Interview with Brad Wright & Robert C. Cooper (2005)
- SG-1 Season Eight Podcast
- Moebius Squared (Novel)
Rewatch “Moebius” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the “Moebius” discussion thread and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Each week we’re highlighting a favorite episode from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the episode with us this week and join in the fun!