OCTOBER IS PUDDLE JUMPER MONTH!
First Aired: November 7, 2008
The team fights to retake control of Atlantis when Michael infiltrates the control room to take Teyla’s child and destroy the city.
Our rewatch of favorite moments in Stargate history continues! Each month we’ll pick a theme, and feature a key episode every week. Join us by watching the episode this week, and then head to GateWorld Forum (or posting below) to talk about it!
Gate Ship One …
- The Jumper (named by John Sheppard) is technology developed by the Ancients in the Pegasus Galaxy — a ship designed to fit through a Stargate.
- The ships are security-locked so they cannot be stolen by the enemy (or a local out for a joy ride): the pilot must have the Ancient gene for the controls to respond.
- Puddle Jumpers also allowed the Lanteans to construct Stargates located in space.
- The versatile little ships have a rear compartment for storage or extra passengers, and is equipped with small drone weapons.
- There’s even one instance of a Jumper being discovered in the Milky Way Galaxy, evidently by a Lantean scientist who had resettled from Atlantis.
“The Prodigal” Facts:
- Guest star Connor Trinneer (Star Trek: Enterprise) guest starred as the Wraith hybrid Michael in 10 episodes of SGA. “The Prodigal” is his last.
- Michael has been busy since he first escaped Atlantis and, later, broke with the Wraith after he was ostracized. Having acquired the Wraith genetic modification therapy first developed by Carson Beckett (“Instinct”), Michael has set about creating his own small army of hybrids.
- The hybrids strategically use a stolen Puddle Jumper to infiltrate the city of Atlantis, set on capturing Teyla’s child, baby Torren. (It’s also what the team uses against them …) Michael acquired the ship while making his escape from his hive ship when it was destroyed by the Daedalus in the fifth season premiere, “Search and Rescue.”
- Actor Brad Dryborough plays Michael’s hybrid lieutenant, but it’s not his first Stargate appearance. Blink and you might miss him in the Stargate SG-1 epsiode “Sight Unseen,” where he played a driver who loses control when he sees an alien creature on his car.
“The Prodigal” on GateWorld:
- “The Prodigal” Podcast
- Atlantis Season Five Podcast
- Video Interview with Connor Trinneer (2009)
- Interview with Rachel Luttrell (2009)
- Video Interview with Robert Picardo (2009)
Rewatch “The Prodigal” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the “Prodigal” discussion forum and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Every month we’re featuring a new theme from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the weekly episode with us join in the fun!