First Aired: July 15 and 22, 2005
Air Force pilot Cameron Mitchell attempts to reassemble SG-1 after the team members have gone their separate ways, and an old “friend” arrives on Earth asking for Daniel’s help in finding an ancient treasure.
After an Ancient communications device renders Daniel and Vala unconscious, they wake up with their minds inhabiting the bodies of two strangers in another galaxy.
- Needless to say, the start of the ninth season marked a major turning point for Stargate SG-1. This is the first episode with Ben Browder as Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell, and without Richard Dean Anderson on the main cast (though he does put in his first guest appearance).
- Ben was already a fan of Stargate SG-1 before he was cast — but before filming started, he binge-watched all eight seasons of the show.
- Amanda Tapping sat out the first five episodes of the ninth season for maternity leave (though she, too, puts in a brief cameo here). To fill her shoes the producers brought back Claudia Black in guest starring role. Her character, Vala, had appeared in one episode in the eighth season (“Prometheus Unbound”). (Black would not officially join the regular cast until Season Ten.)
- “Avalon” also introduced another new member of the show’s main cast: veteran actor Beau Bridges plays General Hank Landry, hand-picked by Jack O’Neill to take charge of Stargate Command.
- Browder had originally been considered for a guest role on Stargate Atlantis (that of Colonel Everett in “The Siege”). The decision was made to save him for a bigger role. (He had also been considered for the part of Atlantis lead John Sheppard — but he was busy filming the Farscape mini-series at the time. Instead, the role went to Joe Flanigan.)
- “Avalon” ends with one of the series’ most shocking and graphic moments: Vala is burned alive as a heretic (only to be revived by a Prior of the Ori). The scene that aired was actually toned down from the original cut, according to executive producer Joseph Mallozzi.
“Avalon” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide (Part 1 – Part 2)
- “In the Making” by Joseph Mallozzi (Part 1 – Part 2)
- Photo Gallery (Part 1 – Part 2)
- Screencap Gallery (Part 1 – Part 2)
- Discussion Thread (Part 1 – Part 2)
- Season Nine Podcast
- Interview with Ben Browder (2005)
- Interview with Claudia Black (2005)
- Interview with Michael Shanks (2005)
- Interview with Christopher Judge (2005)
- Interview with Brad Wright & Robert C. Cooper (2005)
Rewatch “Avalon” (Parts 1 and 2) this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the “Avalon” discussion forums and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Each week this year we’re rewatching Stargate’s great season premieres, finales, and mid-season two-parters. Watch the episode with us this week and join in the fun!