FEBRUARY IS N.I.D. MONTH!
First Aired: January 24, 2003
Colonel O’Neill is charged with the murder of Senator Kinsey, and the rest of the team must uncover a conspiracy in order to clear his name.
Our rewatch of favorite moments in Stargate history continues! Each month we’ll pick a theme, and feature a key episode every week. Join us by watching the episode this week, and then head to GateWorld Forum (or posting below) to talk about it!
Meet the N.I.D.:
- The Founder: Colonel Harry Maybourne
- The Successor: Frank Simmons
- Hello … Neumann.
- Calling the Shots: The Committee
- Trying to Go Legit: Malcolm Barrett
- Evolved Into: The Trust
“Smoke and Mirrors” Facts:
- Writer Kathryn Powers contributed the story for this episode. She has 10 Stargate SG-1 teleplays to her name through the show’s first four seasons, including “Thor’s Hammer,” “Serpent’s Song,” and “Pretense.” This is her last episode.
- You might know him better as Adam Brody on Stargate Universe, but this episode is actor Peter Kelamis‘ first appearance on the franchise. He plays Dr. Brent Langham, who faked his own death and used the mimic device to start a new life. (Watch for him getting taken down by Teal’c, WWE-style.)
- An early influence on this story was Richard Dean Anderson‘s reduced shooting schedule during Season Six (arranged so that he could spend more time at home with his young daughter). O’Neill’s arrest at the start of the episode allowed the rest of the team to step up and accomplish the mission of the week, while still keeping Jack a focus of attention.
- After a short introduction in Season Five’s “Wormhole X-Treme!” this is the first full episode featuring Agent Malcolm Barrett, played by Peter Flemming. After all these years of a rogue outfit operating within the N.I.D., Barrett is the first sign of a desire to flush out the rogue element and rehabilitate the institution. (Flemming would return for a total of eight episodes of SG-1 and SGA.)
- Stargate Infinity crossover! The actor behind Committee Member #3, Dale Wilson, provided the voice of team leader Gus Bonner on the short-lived Stargate animated series.
“Smoke and Mirrors” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide
- Photo Gallery
- Screencap Gallery
- Discussion Forum
- Stargate SG-1 Season Six Podcast
- Interview with Ronny Cox (2003)
- Video Interview with Peter Flemming (2008)
- Video Interview with Colin Cunningham (2008)
- Video Interview with Corin Nemec (2008)
Rewatch “Smoke and Mirrors” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the “Smoke and Mirrors” discussion thread and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Every month we’re featuring a new theme from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the weekly episode with us join in the fun!