MAY IS GENII MONTH!
First Aired: August 26, 2006
Colonel Sheppard finds himself the prisoner of a Genii commander, along with a desperately hungry Wraith who has been separated from his hive.
Our rewatch of favorite moments in Stargate history continues! Each month we’ll pick a theme, and feature a key episode every week. Join us by watching the episode this week, and then head to GateWorld Forum (or posting below) to talk about it!
Meet the Genii …
- They have a secret nuclear program underground
- Their leader, Cowen, had big plans …
- … until Ladon Radim decides to replace him in a coup d’etat
- The brilliant and ruthless military leader Acastus Kolya made himself a very personal enemy in John Sheppard
- In the meantime, enjoy a hot cup of tava bean coffee!
“Common Ground” Facts:
- Genii Commander Acastus Kolya (guest star Robert Davi) and Colonel Sheppard never had a particularly cozy relationship — but it’s “Common Ground” that makes the antagonism between the two reeeeeally personal. Kolya’s capture and torture of John to serve his own ends drove a particularly bitter splinter into their mutual antagonism.
- “Common Ground” is written by newcomer Ken Cuperus, who was on the writing staff for Season Three. He would also write “The Ark” and “Submersion.”
- Director William Waring takes the helm behind the camera with the very first of his Stargate Atlantis episodes. He would direct a total of 16 hours, plus 13 episodes of SG-1 and nine of SGU.
- Actor Christopher Heyerdahl returns for the first time in two years, having previously played the Athosian Halling. Here he plays a Wraith for the first time — an unnamed prisoner who the team would come to know as Todd.
- The episode also introduced an aspect of the Wraith that, up to this point, we had no idea about: no only can they suck the life-force out of a victim, but the Wraith can also reverse the proceed and give life energy back. (It’s a trick that would come in handy a few times later in the series.)
“Common Ground” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide
- Episode Transcript
- Screencap Gallery
- Discussion Forum
- Atlantis Season Three Podcast
- Interview with Robert Davi (2011)
- Interview with Christopher Heyerdahl (2008)
- Video Interview with Ryan Robbins (2009)
Rewatch “Common Ground” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the episode discussion thread and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Every month we’re featuring a new theme from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the weekly episode with us join in the fun!