SEPTEMBER IS OSIRIS MONTH!
First Aired: September 22, 2000
When his former mentor dies, Dr. Jackson returns to his roots — and discovers an ancient Egyptian artifact containing a Goa’uld parasite.
Our rewatch of favorite moments in Stargate history continues! Each month we’ll pick a theme, and feature a key episode every week. Join us by watching the episode this week, and then head to GateWorld Forum (or posting below) to talk about it!
Curse of the Goa’uld …
- Sarah Gardner’s possession by a Goa’uld proved doubly painful for Daniel Jackson. After having lost the woman he loved, Sha’re, to the Goa’uld, his old college girlfriend opens the wrong jar and she, too, ends up under the oppression of an evil symbiote.
- Osiris was never a System Lord herself, but a lesser Goa’uld in search of more power.
- After escaping from Earth she eventually fell in with Anubis as one of his lieutenants.
- Unlike Sha’re, however, Sarah’s story has a happier ending: she’s eventually rescued and the symbiote removed.
“The Curse” Facts:
- Writer-producer Joseph Mallozzi hoped to bring back Dr. Steven Rayner (Ben Bass) for another episode, revealing that the character wasn’t told a cover story after the events of “The Curse” but rather brought into S.G.C. operations. His idea for the character’s return never made it past the writer’s room.
- The idea “involved SG-1 heading off-world and discovering they’d been beaten to an incredible archaeological find by another team headed by Steven Rayner and bankrolled by a wealthy industrialist who had swung a deal to make use of the Russian gate,” Mallozzi revealed.
- Recognize the museum curator, played by actress Lorena Gale? Though this small role was her only Stargate experience, she played the priestess Elosha in a recurring role on Battlestar Galactica.
- Mallozzi is a big Green Lantern fan, and named most of the guest characters in this episode after Green Lanterns (Jordan, Stewart, Gardner, Rayner).
- This episode is our very first look at Jack’s cabin in Minnesota (where he grew up), including that pond … with no pesky fish in it.
“The Curse” on GateWorld:
- Stargate SG-1 Season Four Podcast
- Interview with Michael Shanks (2004)
- Interview with Director Andy Mikita (2009)
Rewatch “The Curse” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to “The Curse” discussion thread and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Every month we’re featuring a new theme from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the weekly episode with us join in the fun!