GateWorld is brand new! Today we roll out a new edition of the Internet’s largest and longest-running Stargate Web site, with a new look and some important new features.
It’s the third major design iteration for the site, so we’re calling it GateWorld 3.0. It’s also our first site-wide refresh since 2006.
Here’s a bit of what you will find, what’s still to come — and, more importantly, how you can contribute to the life of the site as we move forward into the next generation of Stargate!
- A Fresh Look. When we last redesigned the site 11 years ago the most common monitor display was a whopping 800×600 pixels! Our new look is cleaner, brighter, and easier to read. (The Stargate header image and the new site logo come from GateWorld’s graphic designer Gilles Nuytens, who designed the previous version of the site. If you loved his rotating character headers over the years, we’ll be preserving them in the Gallery!)
- GateWorld Goes Mobile. The entire site is now reflexive for mobile devices for the first time. We’re extremely excited to bring this to you (and we know it’s long overdue). Read news, post a comment, listen to a podcast, browse the gallery, search the Omnipedia, and more. You can even set GateWorld as an app on your home screen!
- Browse By Show. Just mouse over SG-1, Atlantis, or SGU on the menu above and you’ll have quick access to the whole world of that show, from our exhaustive episode guides to comic books, novels, toys, discussion forums, and more.
- Section Updates. Comics, Novels, SGU‘s second season episode summaries, and other areas have been completely updated. LEGO fans! We now have the most complete listing anywhere of all of the Best-Lock Stargate sets.
- GateWorld Video. We’ve officially retired “GateWorld Play” and migrated our video interviews and other special video features to GateWorld’s YouTube channel. Find us there, or click on Video to see playlists and the newest additions.
- Member Profiles. Make your GateWorld your own! Sign up now, upload your photo (Gravatars supported), and tell your fellow GateWorlders all about yourself. (We’re taking suggestions for profile fields you want to see.) Your profile will be linked from the comments you post and any news stories you contribute, and gives us a good foundation to do more fun community stuff down the road.
- Submit News! Here’s the big one! We’ll have more to say about this soon, but starting today everyone in the Stargate fan community is invited to publish on GateWorld. You’ll need to sign up for an account first, and then you can submit news stories, special features, opinion pieces, videos — whatever your imagination can come up with! Just use that big green button at the top of the site to get started.
More than all this is the new engine that runs the back-end of the site. In addition to new hardware we have migrated the site onto a new content management system (CMS). The site was entirely hand-coded when it first debuted in 1999, and in recent years has benefited only partially from a CMS. The new engine will give us the ability to offer new features that we just couldn’t do before.
So What’s Next?
We have some fun stuff currently in the works and even bigger ambitions for down the road. Just some of what you’ll be seeing includes:
- Stargate Origins. With a fourth Stargate series set to launch this year, of course we’re ready to go with full coverage! Origins now has a spot on the site menu, with episode guides and much more to come.
- The Lost Interviews. In digging through our archives we’ve discovered several interviews that you haven’t seen yet! The first one is up today. Stay tuned for more!
- Fan Fiction. We had to close down our FanFic section many years ago due to a lack of technical support. The new CMS gives us an opportunity to build something new and robust from the ground up. Writers, get your keyboards ready.
- Fan Art. If you can post your own news and editorials, and your own fanfic, then why not post your own visual artwork? We’d like to create a place for you to do just that — whether it’s illustrations, desktop wallpaper, kitchen table crafts, or photos of that Stargate you built in your garage with electrical wire and a toaster.
How Can You Help?
In its 18-year history GateWorld has always been a site by the fans, for the fans. Other fans sites (and official sites, for that matter) have come and gone over the years, but GateWorld is still here! As we sail toward our twentieth anniversary in 2019, we’re really shifting gears to open up the site to more voices and more talent.