1. Barryke
    Barryke
    December 9, 2009 at 4:42 pm |

My take below. Rush is after something.
    In some future season it is revealed Rush had prior knowledge. I’d even dare say experience. The ship was all he was looking for because he “knew” he used it.
    He most likely wants to save the women on the photo from Air. Perhaps a time machine, perhaps a quantum mechanics thing. The series ending will feature his attemt to alter her faith whilst the rest tries to return home. Ultimatly Rush sucseeds and thus altered history so nobody made it in the Destiny anyhow.
    A time-machine failsafe from the SGC detects something has happened, but they’re not ever sure what exactly. The Kino’s that escaped the timeline and suddenly litter the universe history aren’t of much help either.
    Never did he realize he once used it to rendezvous with the Destiny after Young left him to die. His return will imply new politics for the whole crew.
    I’m afraid the whole alien technology thing is discarded and left unused. – Barry

2. daxmaryrussel
    daxmaryrussel
    December 9, 2009 at 7:25 pm |

Thanks for this week’s podcast. Just downloaded it and will listen to it tonight. As always, really looking forward to it. Meanwhile, I’m viewing Air 1 and 2 and for once I’m really happy I’ve listen to all podcasts already and read spoilers and posts. My expectation wasn’t very high, but so far I’m happily surprised. I really enjoy the music (intro reminds me of the music from Crusade, the B5 sequel) which is different and cool. I’m watching the intro over and over. Now I have 8 episode ahead to watch for the first time – lucky me. This alien technology seems interesting, hopefully that will be going somewhere (fast)…. I’ll be back – looking forward to more comments here.

3. Xenomorph
    Xenomorph
    December 9, 2009 at 8:48 pm |

Am I the only one who was not surprised at all/ much for this episode? Almost everything was predicable. The only thing that got me was the what the chair does to people. I saw Young socking Rush a mile away once they got to the planet. Rush will figure out how to work the alien ship or he will modify the Stargate to get back to Destiny.

4. Gaeth
    Gaeth
    December 9, 2009 at 9:11 pm |

I don’t think Young did anything wrong to Rush. Imagine if something like that happened to Teal’c. He would have just killed Rush. I think you’re confusing heroic with angelic, or perfect. Young, Scott, and Greer are all very courageous but flawed. And Eli, while not a warrior, still is brave and hasn’t done anything reprehensible (yet).

About your ‘quibbles’

The kino didn’t ‘happen’ to be there. Spencer most likely looked for and took an active one and used it.

Rush wasn’t sloppy, he had no way of knowing that Eli backed up two days worth of footage on his hard-drive.

There wasn’t really time for the dismissal to sink in and to show people’s concern about a possible murderer walking around. Plus, enough of them may have thought it was necessary (Spencer’s death) based on the conversation they were having in the hall. That being the one that Young overheard.

Regarding the gun, Scott wasn’t looking looking that closely. That’s probably because he was uncomfortable searching Young’s quarters. Eli didn’t really find it *that* easily. Rush hid it somewhere where it could be discovered without too much difficulty but still look like a true attempt by a guilty party. I watched the scene over again just now. When the Eli first shines the light there, we don’t see things from his perspective, so he may have been able to see the shadow through the grating. You shouldn’t assume they didn’t check the air vents before. Eli may have just done the flashlight passage, which is how he discovered something was amiss to begin with.

Rush went even though it was risky because he’s hungry for knowledge even at the expense of safety both himself and others. The reason Young went was to keep an eye on Rush, and have a nice little ‘chat’ as we saw. The Destiny has programming of it’s own, and its programming may be damaged too. They’ve already demonstrated that the SGU stargates have a shorter range. Plus it may be that Destiny (or its programing) only wants to let them dial or even know about certain gates at certain times

——
    Regarding mail. It wasn’t convenient, only a discovery like an alien ship would have made Rush take such a risk under such short time constraints.

Why would Eli have automatically checked his back ups? He didn’t even know anything was deleted. It was only after going over the data repeatedly and painstakingly that he found a deletion point.
    They couldn’t really do a regular police investigation the social-political and even technological situation prevents it. There are other forms of birth control besides condoms, like copper iuds which they could fabricate themselves.

5. Nikst
    Nikst
    December 10, 2009 at 7:33 am |

@Gaeth: Agree with every single thing you just said. Gateworlds quibbles usually are good or at least understandable ones. This time I didn’t think they had any good ones at all, not even understandable ones. I think you answered all of them and I agree with you on every one.

All though the rest of the podcast was good =)

6. ellievee
    ellievee
    December 10, 2009 at 10:54 pm |

It would have been useful had you lads watched the episode prior to the podcast. I realise that what’s actually screened seems to be a problem with some punters, particularly when it comes to Dr Rush, but this is what actually happened:

Eli comes into the chair room. Franklin is there. They talk. Franklin asks Eli to get some ‘potatoes’. Eli leaves. Franklin looks at the chair.

Young hears Eli over the radio asking for help. Young runs to the chair room. Franklin is in the chair with Eli trying to remove the ‘bolt’s or whatever they are. Rush is there at the console. TJ asks how long Franklin has been in the chair. Eli responds that he went out for five minutes and when he got back Franklin was in the chair.

You guys said that Rush was already in the room when Eli came in. Unless you’ve seen something we haven’t, we don’t know this. Eli never says that Rush was in the room and given how he tells Young everything Rush does, you’d think he’d have mentioned that one, too. Rush specifically says later that everyone had strict instructions not to sit in the chair, something that is entirely checkable (and given how much Young hates Rush, I’m guessing he’d have checked).

So, we don’t know that Rush was in the room, do we. It would be helpful to the listeners if you just watched the episodes first.

7. Darren
    December 11, 2009 at 10:11 am |

Wow, ellievee – How about we have the conversation without all the condescension and insults.

I was speculating that Rush might have been in the room with Franklin when Eli returned. (You’re right about the sequence of events, though you overlooked the fact that Franklin told Eli that Rush was soon to arrive to relieve him.) We don’t know that he was, and I didn’t say that he was. I said that when Young finally got there, Rush was there. If my theory pans out, Eli might have thought to mention Rush’s presence in the room to Col. Young later, after the crisis moment has passed. When he first radioed to Young, I think he was a bit distracted by the blood hemorrhaging from Franklin’s temples to start to theorize about Rush having played a part.

If it doesn’t pan out, it doesn’t. We don’t know why Franklin was in the chair, and so far that’s a deliberate decision on the part of the writers. But the theory would be consistent with Rush’s motives.

Again, let’s drop the polemics. With David gone and me editing this week’s show, I spent a good 10 hours of my week on those 48 minutes you listened to. I don’t need to be hassled.

8. Sylvia
    Sylvia
    December 11, 2009 at 2:00 pm |

As much as I truly enjoy your podcasts, I decided not to listen this week, because the topic of SGU just makes me sad and I’m going to try to stay away from any discussions about it.
    But I’m looking forward for what you have in store for the next few months!

9. squitoey
    squitoey
    December 11, 2009 at 2:24 pm |

I’ve been thinking about the theory that Rush in some way got Franklin into the chair, as well as how “bad” Young is for leaving some one behind. I am wondering if the video that Young had Eli copy onto a thumb drive was Kino video of Rush putting Franklin into the chair.

10. ColonelT
    ColonelT
    December 11, 2009 at 4:41 pm |

does anyone know why sgu is having a mid season break? is it for the olympics? is it because they need to catch up in production? i’m just curious if they’ve announced why we need to wait an excruciating amount of time to keep watching!!

11. HaxMii
    HaxMii
    December 11, 2009 at 5:37 pm |

The only thing i want to comment on is how you both mentioned, “why did they have less time on this planet and more on another? and why did the destiny choose this planet?”… here is my theory:

1st: The seeder ships are just building the stargates along the way and planting them on planets that are one way or another explorable.

2nd: there is a subspace connection between the seeder ships and the destiny and they relay just a preliminary/very basic scan of the planet. Just the scan they took to figure out where to plant the stargate and a basic makeup of the planet, nothing in-depth.

3rd: the stargates are very different than the ones that we’re use to, they have built in scanners that have been collecting very in-depth data for 100,000’s to millions of years.

4th: the destiny is dialing these stargates to activate a subspace connection and initiate the download of all this data they’ve been collecting. With some planets a lot more has happened than others, so… it takes longer on some planets and a lot less on others to download the data. The timer is based on how much time is left in the download.

5th: the destiny dials planets on random, and only dials specific ones and locks out others when in senses that something is needed or something is wrong… otherwise it’s random.

6th: these stargates have limited dialing distance compared to the ones from SG-1 and SGA. So the networks are much smaller, several solar systems instead of the entire galaxy. And only the dial to one in the network is needed to activate the subspace connection to download all that network’s data.

It’s just a theory, but i think it makes sense. What do you all think?

12. daxmaryrussel
    daxmaryrussel
    December 12, 2009 at 7:48 am |

Cheers for all your work Darren. You could home in on the positive feedback you got here – like mine above :-) I always appreciate the podcasts – this one too. It’s great to have different (combination of) people doing it, it changes the dynamics and makes it even more interesting. And it is *your* opinions I like to hear so keep going! Only tiny probs is the quality of the phone calls, a bit difficult to hear sometimes (my ears could be fresher and English is my second language) but it is of course understandable that phone calls have lower technical quality. Eagerly awaiting for next week’s podcast – meanwhile I listen again to the old ones, e.g about SG1 season 5 after I’ve watched that season. Thanks again and keep up the good work.