First Aired: August 13, 2004
Teal’c is trapped in a virtual reality simulation, in which he must defend the base from a Goa’uld super-soldier incursion — but his inability to defeat the scenario eventually takes its toll.
- For those just joining us: the virtual reality chairs are alien tech, pulled from P7J-989 and retrofitted by Earth scientists in the six years since “The Gamekeeper.” (The chairs can be spotted in Area 51 storage in the opening scene of Season Three’s “Point of View.”)
- Andrew Airlie guest stars as Dr. Carmichael, his second role on the series. You might recognize him as Kalan, the Orbanian leader from the third season episode “Learning Curve.”
- Dr. Carmichael was one of a number of new doctor characters tried out after Janet Fraiser was killed off the previous year. This is his only episode.
- The computer-generated video game footage you can see in the episode was created by Perception, the Australia-based studio that was developing the video game Stargate SG-1: The Alliance at the time. (The game itself was scrapped late in production.)
“Avatar” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide
- Episode Review
- “In the Making” (by Joseph Mallozzi)
- Episode Transcript
- Photo Gallery
- Screencap Gallery
- Discussion Thread
- Season Eight Podcast
- Interview with Christopher Judge (2004)
Rewatch “Avatar” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the “Avatar” discussion thread and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Each week we’re highlighting a favorite episode from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the episode with us this week and join in the fun!