First Aired: January 30, 1998
The SG-1 team rescues a group of advanced humans from a planet near destruction, and must find a new home for the refugees before the Pentagon gets their hands on them.
- After months of gate travel that led to encounters with several alien races pushed down by the Goa’uld, the Tollan are the first technologically advanced humanoid race encountered by Stargate Command.
- “Enigma” is the first SG-1 appearance for Tom McBeath, whose character Colonel Maybourne would become a fan favorite after he went from two-dimensional antagonist to the guy you want to take on a road trip to expose the seedy underbelly of government agencies.
- This is also the first time we see the U.A.V., a military technology that Stargate Command would use to great effect for years to come. Its first deployment through the Stargate was to survey the volcanic conditions on the original Tollan homeworld.
- The Tollan would return for several episodes, but this is the only episode with their skeptical leader Omac (Tobin Bell). The character’s funeral set up the events of Season Five’s “Between Two Fires.” (The Tollan were eventually wiped out by the forces of Anubis.)
- Writer Kathryn Powers penned eight episodes in the early days of Stargate SG-1, also including “Thor’s Hammer” and “Thor’s Chariot,” “Serpent’s Song,” and “Pretense” (which saw the return of the Tollan).
“Enigma” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide
- Episode Transcript
- Photo Gallery
- Screencap Gallery
- Discussion Thread
- Interview with Tom McBeath (2004)
- Interview with Garwin Sanford (2006)
- SG-1 Season One Podcast
Rewatch “Enigma” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the “Enigma” discussion thread and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Each week we’re highlighting a favorite episode from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the episode with us this week and join in the fun!