First Aired: June 26, 1998
Trapped on board a Goa’uld attack ship, SG-1 must stop Apophis’s invasion force before it reaches Earth — and escape with their lives.
“The Serpent’s Lair” Facts:
- The Season Two premiere was one of just two episodes directed by Stargate SG-1 co-creator Jonathan Glassner. The other is the Season One favorite “The Torment of Tantalus.”
- After a run of episodes in the show’s first season, this would be the final appearance of actor Robert Wisden as Major Samuels … until the altered timeline of the eighth season finale, “Moebius.”
- How great is a Goa’uld sarcophagus? In this episode not only does it heal Daniel’s gory injuries … it also stitches his clothes back together.
- Actor Douglas H. Arthurs plays Apophis’ First Prime, named in the credits as “Kah’l.” He’d soon be recast in the much more significant role of the rival System Lord Heru’ur, whose first appearance was just a few episodes later in “Thor’s Chariot.”
- After this episode the team believed that Apophis (and Klorel) had died in the explosion. They’d learn a few episodes later (“Family”) that Apophis survived … though his failure to eliminate Earth compromised his position among the Goa’uld System Lords.
“The Serpent’s Lair” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide
- Photo Gallery
- Screencap Gallery
- Discussion Thread
- Season Two Podcast
- Video interview with Peter Williams (2008)
- Video interview with Alexis Cruz (2008)
- Interview with Tony Amendola (2005)
Rewatch “The Serpent’s Lair” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the “Serpent’s Lair” discussion thread and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
We’re rewatching all of Stargate’s season premieres, finales, and mid-season 2-parters! Watch with us this week and join in the fun.