First Aired: September 16, 2005 and January 6, 2006
Earth is infected with a deadly Ori plague, prompting an ally from SG-1’s past to come to their aide. Meanwhile, the Free Jaffa leader Gerak tries to rally his people to the Ori’s cause, prompting Teal’c and Bra’tac to initiate a resistance.
“The Fourth Horseman” Facts:
- Ten episodes into the new Ori storyline, viewers finally got a big piece of the puzzle: the reason why the Ori are so set on invading our galaxy and winning converts. The ascended beings somehow translate the worship of lower beings into energy that sustains and empowers them.
- Fans had long wanted to see the return of Orlin, an ascended being not a part of the other Ancients‘ group, since his appearance in Season Five’s “Ascension.” The character finally returned in the ninth season two-parter — though now played by young actor Cameron Bright.
- Producers did originally approach “Orlin” actor Sean Patrick Flannery, to reprise the role. Unfortunately he was unavailable. The producers opted to recast the character, though they did consider rewriting the script to feature a different Ancient altogether.
- Don S. Davis returns for a brief appearance as General George Hammond, having left the main cast after Season Seven.
- Veteran actor William B. Davis (The X-Files) plays the Ori Prior lured into a trap by SG-1. He had a brief cameo a few episodes earlier (“Babylon”) in order to set up his appearance here, on the Sodan homeworld. He’s the only Prior (other than Gerak) to have his real name established on screen: Damaris.
- This is the final of five appearances for actor Jeff Judge — brother of Christopher Judge (“Teal’c”) — who plays the Jaffa Aron.
“The Fourth Horseman” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide (Part 1 – Part 2)
- “In the Making” by Joseph Mallozzi
- Photo Gallery (Part 1 – Part 2)
- Screencap Gallery (Part 1 – Part 2)
- Discussion Thread (Part 1 – Part 2)
- Season Nine Podcast
- Interview with Amanda Tapping (2005)
- Interview with Tony Amendola (2005)
Rewatch “The Fourth Horseman” (Parts 1 and 2) this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the “Fourth Horseman” discussion threads and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Each week this year we’re rewatching Stargate’s great season premieres, finales, and mid-season two-parters. Watch the episode with us this week and join in the fun!