First Aired: September 26, 2008
When Daniel Jackson visits Atlantis, he and Dr. McKay discover a hidden lab that brings a new enemy knocking. Meanwhile, the Daedalus welcomes a Wraith ally for a special project.
“First Contact” Facts:
- Daniel’s big visit to the lost city of the Ancients is actor Michael Shanks‘ first appearance on Stargate Atlantis since helping to kick off the show four and a half years earlier (“Rising, Part 1”).
- The hidden laboratory inside Atlantis that Daniel hopes to find belonged to Janus. That’s the Ancient scientist who Elizabeth Weir met when she traveled back in time in an alternate timeline (“Before I Sleep”). Janus was evidently working on technology to isolate the Wraith by preventing them from using hyperspace.
- “First Contact” introduces a new hostile force we’ve never seen before in the Pegasus Galaxy … though their secret identity would have to wait for the next episode. After years of fighting with the Wraith, the Genii, and the Replicators it is incredible how quickly these new foes use their advanced technology to infiltrate the city and escape with their prisoners before Atlantis can even react.
“First Contact” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide
- Episode Transcript
- Fan Reviews
- Photo Gallery
- Screencap Gallery
- Discussion Forum
- Atlantis Season Five Podcast
- Interview with Michael Shanks (2008)
- Interview with David Hewlett (2008)
- Interview with Robert Picardo (2008)
- Interview with writer Martin Gero (2008)
Rewatch “First Contact” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the episode discussion forum and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Each week we’re highlighting a favorite episode from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the episode with us this week and join in the fun!