MAY IS GENII MONTH!
Our rewatch of favorite moments in Stargate history continues! Each month we’ll pick a theme, and feature a key episode every week. Join us by watching the episode this week, and then head to GateWorld Forum (or posting below) to talk about it!
Meet the Genii …
- They have a secret nuclear program underground
- Their leader, Cowen, had big plans …
- … until Ladon Radim decides to replace him in a coup d’etat
- The brilliant and ruthless military leader Acastus Kolya made himself a very personal enemy in John Sheppard
- In the meantime, enjoy a hot cup of tava bean coffee!
“The Storm” / “The Eye” Facts:
- Stargate Atlantis‘s first big two-parter after the pilot marked not only the introduction of guest star Robert Davi as Commander Kolya, but also the SGA debut of one Ryan Robbins — as the mid-level Genii operative Ladon Radim. Ladon would go on to a bigger role after his coup in Season Two, and Robbins would go on to sci-fi stardom on shows like Sanctuary, Battlestar Galactica, Falling Skies, and Arrow.
- Atlantis‘s freshman writer, Martin Gero, does the script honors here — and in fact would end up writing most of the show’s big premieres, finales, and two-parters. (You can currently find him headlining the new NBC hit show Blindspot, which he created.)
- The conclusion to “The Eye” leaves a small thread untied: the final fate of Sora (Erin Chambers) who is ever again seen on the show. Did she stay in Atlantis’s brig indefinitely? Was she returned to her people at some point?
- A background player in “The Storm” is actor Cory Monteith, who played a Genii soldier. He would go on years later to be cast in the leading role of Glee‘s Finn Hudson. (Monteith died in 2013, at the age of 31.)
“The Storm” / “The Eye” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide (Part 1 | Part 2)
- Episode Transcript (Part 1 | Part 2)
- Photo Gallery (Part 1 | Part 2)
- Screencap Gallery (Part 1 | Part 2)
- Discussion Forum (Part 1 | Part 2)
- Atlantis Season One Podcast
- Interview with Robert Davi (2011)
- Interview with Joe Flanigan (2004)
- Interview with Brad Wright & Robert C. Cooper (2005)
Rewatch “The Storm” and “The Eye” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the episode discussion threads and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Every month we’re featuring a new theme from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the weekly episode with us join in the fun!