1. Sylvia
    Sylvia
    June 9, 2009 at 11:42 pm |

Enjoyed the podcast again.
    Couple of points:
    I wish you’d focused on other things in Joe Flanigan’s interview besides the negative, it was, for the most part, a positive, upbeat series of questions and answers and it just helped fuel the Joe vs. Joe thingy by making it seem that all he does is complain.
    Re the new trailer, seemed pretty corny to me. Sexier! Grittier! Real People! sheesh, I wan’t really impressed.

2. lordball
    lordball
    June 10, 2009 at 4:15 pm |

I’m not going to bother listening because since we all know which series will come out as the favorite. I will just say this..

Star Trek = 11 feature films
    Stargate? = 1 feature film

3. theStormWeaver
    theStormWeaver
    June 10, 2009 at 4:48 pm |

Oh please, that is an over simplistic argument. Stargate has only been in existence as a franchise for what, 15 years? Star Trek has had over 40 to become what it is today.

Star Trek had only 3 seasons and a few movies in its first 15 years of existence, while Stargate has had 15 years of television, and two direct-to-disc movies with more on the way and a third series as well. Star Trek may be more popular right now, but it has one hell of a head start.

4. Tripgate
    Tripgate
    June 10, 2009 at 6:16 pm |

That was a great discussion on both franchises. You two brought up a lot of different topics my dad and I have discussed over the years; like comic relief, universal lessons of the shows, etc. For me when it comes right down to it, neither is better than the other. Both have their own pros and cons.

5. Darren
    June 10, 2009 at 6:40 pm |

lordball, if you think we’re just going to extol the merits of Stargate and poo-poo Trek, you obviously haven’t listened to our show much.

6. Atlantis Rocks
    Atlantis Rocks
    June 11, 2009 at 5:58 am |

SG1, SGA v Star Trek are even stevens, they are all great shows for a variety of difference reasons to many to go into. THE movies and series an have different merits an values within in them an that’s what make then good together with some GREAT actors, all 3 of these have enriched science fiction in their own unique ways.

SGU v Star Trek lol lol lol not even gonna bother to make a comparison its to laughable!!

Suffice to ay SGU loses that battle “lol” Star Trek, LIVE LONG AN PROSPER!

SGA THE RIGHT PEOPLE IN THE RIGHT PLACE

7. Janus_Ancient
    Janus_Ancient
    June 11, 2009 at 7:16 pm |

Stargate rocks, but actually dare to compare Star Trek to Gate?

> Stargate references Star Trek, hires actors/guest actors from Trek……NOT the other way around.

Star Trek is so huge, it makes its way into Stargate :P

8. jstiles26547
    jstiles26547
    June 14, 2009 at 6:10 am |

If SGU fulfills on its promises, it might be worthwhile to compare SGU with Babylon-5.

9. DarkDoctor
    DarkDoctor
    June 18, 2009 at 1:27 am |

I’ll admit this, I am not much of a Star Trek fan. Plus, I love Stargate so much that I’ve watched most of the two shows and all the movies.

I’ll also admit that Star Trek is the original, so please go compare Stargate with something closer to its caliber. As jstiles26547 mentioned, Babylon-5 would be better.

It’s like comparing Sanctuary with Doctor Who. Some things, like Star Trek and the good Doctor, are legends…not to say that Sanctuary isn’t great, also. It’s just too young a franchise to do that with.

10. RgyelXVI
    RgyelXVI
    July 8, 2009 at 1:26 pm |

I give Trek the credit it rightfully deserves. It broke many barriers and made Sci-Fi fun to watch again on TV. We wouldn’t have had the glut of Sci-Fi these past 40 years if not for Star Trek.

I have been a long-time Trek fan, and by extension a fan of many Sci-Fi universes.

Taken on the whole, I like Stargate over Star Trek. Re-watching my DVDs of Trek, I find there are quite a few eps per season that have not held up over the repeated viewings. But, there are some that are legendary, ie: “City on the Edge of Forever” being a prime example.

I can name many eps of Trek that I will never forget through TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager & Enterprise.

I have enjoyed it when I see references to Trek in other shows like Farscape and Stargates. I also take note when I see actors appear on many Genre shows: Clancy Brown, is one who’ve been on many genre shows.

There are many genre universes I’d like to see more of like B5/Crusade, Farscape, BSG, Trek, and Stargate.