First Aired: January 30, 2004
Daniel is plagued by dreams of his former girlfriend, who has been taken as a Goa’uld host. Samantha Carter begins a romantic relationship with a detective, from whom she must hide her life at Stargate Command.
- After a fantastic turn as the Goa’uld villain Osiris (appearing in five episodes over four seasons), “Chimera” marks the final episode for actress Anna-Louise Plowman. Though her host, Sarah Gardner, was rescued she did not appear on the show again.
- Osiris uses the memory device to access and manipulate Daniel’s dreams — a brilliant use of the technology that was introduced back in the Season Two finale, and had primarily been associated with the Tok’ra.
- This is the first appearance of David DeLuise, whose character of Pete Shanahan was able to break Sam Carter’s curse of love interests who inevitably turned up dead. (His arc spanned four episodes over Seasons Seven and Eight before Sam smashed his heart to pieces.)
- Pete’s attempts to use his detective training and FBI contacts to figure out what Sam really does for a living — including the use of a stake-out van — earned him the unfortunate nickname “Stalker Pete” among some fans of the show.
- David is the brother of Stargate SG-1 writer-producer-director Peter DeLuise.
- The part of Pete Shanahan was originally offered to another actor: Farscape‘s Ben Browder. He turned down the role, but eventually joined the Stargate family as Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell.
“Chimera” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide
- Episode Review
- Episode Transcript
- Photo Gallery
- Screencap Gallery
- Discussion Thread
- Interview with Amanda Tapping (2004)
- Interview with David DeLuise (2004)
- Season Seven Podcast
Rewatch “Chimera” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the “Chimera” discussion thread and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Each week we’re highlighting a favorite episode from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the episode with us this week and join in the fun!