First Aired: July 29, 2005
Daniel comes face to face with the Ori, a fiery race of beings who demand the worship of mortals. Elsewhere, Stargate Command encounters the first Ori missionary in our galaxy.
- After the opening two-parter “Avalon” introduced audiences to new team members (Ben Browder’s Lt. Cameron Mitchell and Claudia Black’s Vala Mal Doran, who would be in the first six episodes of the season), “Origin” provides viewers with our first big dose of Ori backstory. That came both through the first Prior sent to the Milky Way Galaxy, and Daniel’s face-to-face encounter with the Doci, head of the Priors.
- “Origin” concluded a season-opening trilogy, which was originally intended to be a two-parter.
- Julian Sands guest stars as the Doci. He’d be seen again very briefly later in the season, but only by way of reused footage (“The Fourth Horseman, Part 1”). Sands would not return to the set until the movie The Ark of Truth.
- This was the first appearance for Louis Gossett, Jr., as the Free Jaffa leader Gerak. Gossett was up for the role of the new S.G.C. commander, which instead went to Beau Bridges (“Hank Landry”).
- Scientist Dr. Lindsay (Penelope Corrin) appears in this episode, having previously applied to join Mitchell’s new S.G. team (“Avalon, Part 1”). She would later be transferred to Atlantis and join Major Lorne’s team, narrowly avoiding death at the hands of the Genii (“Coup De’tat”) — a great example of the continuity that the Stargate producers sought even when they didn’t have to.
“Origin” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide
- Episode Review
- Episode Transcript
- Photo Gallery
- Screencap Gallery
- Discussion Thread
- Season Nine Podcast
- “In the Making” (Behind the Scenes)
- Interview with Claudia Black (2005)
- Interview with Ben Browder (2005)
- Interview with Brad Wright & Robert C. Cooper (2005)
Rewatch “Origin” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the “Origin” discussion thread and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Each week we’re highlighting a favorite episode from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the episode with us this week and join in the fun!