First Aired: October 2 and 9, 1998
SG-1 locates the Tok’ra, a Goa’uld resistance movement who oppose the System Lords, and attempt to form an alliance — while a spy betrays the rebels to the Goa’uld. As Jacob Carter’s cancer brings him near death, the Tok’ra may be his only hope of survival.
“The Tok’ra” Facts:
- Sarah Douglas plays the leader of the Tok’ra, Garshaw. She’s well-known to genre fans for her part as the evil Kryptonian Ursa in Superman II. Alas, this would be her only Stargate appearance.
- JR Bourne originally auditioned for the role of the traitorous Tok’ra Cordesh, a role that went to actor Winston Rekert. Instead Bourne won the role of Martouf, who would become a recurring character and a fan favorite.
- Winston Rekert (Cordesh) died of cancer in 2012, at the age of 63. (Read his obituary at the Vancouver Sun.)
- Of the dozens of episodes of Stargate he did, Carmen Argenziano (Jacob Carter) cites “The Tok’ra, Part 2” as his favorite.
- The mid-season 2-parter set up a big future for Jacob, who was blended with the Tok’ra symbiote Selmak and would serve as an Earth-Tok’ra liaison for many years. But it almost wasn’t to be: Argenziano told GateWorld that the producers’ original plan was for Sam Carter to lose her father to cancer.
“The Tok’ra” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide (Part 1)
- Episode Guide (Part 2)
- Photo Gallery (Part 1)
- Photo Gallery (Part 2)
- Screencap Gallery (Part 1)
- Screencap Gallery (Part 2)
- Discussion Thread (Part 1)
- Discussion Thread (Part 2)
- Season Two Podcast
- Interview with JR Bourne (2006)
- Interview with Carmen Argenziano (2006)
Rewatch “The Tok’ra” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the “Tok’ra” discussion threads and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
We’re rewatching all of Stargate’s season premieres, finales, and mid-season 2-parters! Watch with us this week and join in the fun.