First Aired: March 11, 2005
Daniel must once again decide whether to risk death or ascend when Oma Desala gives him a second chance. O’Neill and Carter struggle with their respective personal relationships.
- Though technically neither a season premiere, finale, or mid-season two-parter, “Threads” is a crucial episode of the series and immediately connected to the two-parter that preceded it: “Reckoning.” The episode answers the lingering questions of the fates of Daniel Jackson, Jacob Carter, and Anubis. It also provides a nice cap to the “classic” SG-1 team, concluding with the fishing scene that Jack had been wanting since the third season finale.
- “Threads” is the only one of the Stargate franchise’s 300+ episodes with a longer-than-normal running time. Syfy originally aired the full, 90-minute (with commercials) cut (which MGM left off the show’s initial DVD release, accidentally selling the 60-minute cut instead).
- The end of an era is also seen in the death of Jacob Carter — who the writers originally had planned to have die of cancer after a couple of episodes all the way back in Season Two. Instead, journeyman actor Carmen Argenziano would guest star for 25 episodes.
- After the defeat of the Goa’uld and the capture of the planet Dakara in “Reckoning,” this episode marks the birth of the Free Jaffa Nation. It looked at first as though Teal’c and Bra’tac would be the leaders of their people … until Gerak (Louis Gossett, Jr.) emerged in Season Nine.
“Threads” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide
- Episode Transcript
- Photo Gallery
- Screencap Gallery
- Discussion Thread
- Season Eight Podcast
- Interview with Mel Harris (2004)
- Interview with Tony Amendola (2005)
- Interview with Cliff Simon (2005)
- Interview with David DeLuise (2011)
- Interview with Christopher Judge (2004)
- Interview with Brad Wright & Robert C. Cooper (2005)
Rewatch “Threads” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the “Threads” discussion forum and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Each week we’re highlighting a favorite episode from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the episode with us this week and join in the fun!