MARCH IS TIME TRAVEL MONTH!
First Aired: March 5, 1999
A cosmic accident causes SG-1 to be sent back 30 years into Earth’s past, where they must locate the Stargate and find a way home.
Our rewatch of favorite moments in Stargate history continues! Each month we’ll pick a theme, and feature a key episode every week. Join us by watching the episode this week, and then head to GateWorld Forum (or posting below) to talk about it!
Gonna Go Back In Time …
- First, you’ll need a Stargate
- A solar flare bends the wormhole back on itself
- Or, you could just find a time-traveling Puddle Jumper
- Just don’t mess with the timeline …
- … or you might find your enemies back from the dead!
- SG-1’s first time traveling in time sent them back to Earth in the year 1969, giving Jack plenty of opportunities for making anachronistic cultural references. Among them: “My name’s not Kirk. It’s Skywalker. … Luke Skywalker.”
- Following his appearance under heavy prosthetics as the alien Xe’ls a few episodes earlier, Alex Zahara was recast in the role of the hippie Michael, where he could show his real face. Though neither character was heard from again it wasn’t the last of Zahara, who would go on to play no fewer than six characters on Stargate SG-1.
- Actor Aaron Pearl turned in a stellar performance as the young Lt. George Hammond, nailing Don S. Davis’ Texan mannerisms perfectly. He’s be back as S.G.C. Major Kearney in the Season Eight episode “Lockdown.”
- During their drive across the United States SG-1 passes through Chicago, and the familiar sight of the Sears Tower is shown briefly. It’s actually an anachronism: construction on the tower did not begin until 1970, and it opened its doors in 1973.
- It’s not uncommon to recast a character, due to scheduling conflicts and other issues. But thanks to the time travel elements that introduce us to an aged Cassandra in this episode, her character ended up being played by three different actresses.
- Glynis Davies makes her first Stargate appearance here, as the young Catherine Langford. She’ll be back as Ambassador Noor, and as Eli’s mother on Stargate Unvierse.
“1969” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide
- Photo Gallery
- Screencap Gallery
- Discussion Forum
- Stargate SG-1 Season Two Podcast
- Interview with Alex Zahara (2006)
Rewatch “1969” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the “1969” discussion thread and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Every month we’re featuring a new theme from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the weekly episode with us join in the fun!