“It’s your Stargate …”
We’re just one week away from the start of the Stargate Rewatch, a massive and community-wide project to watch all 17 seasons of Stargate from the beginning — one season every month through 2012. (Read more here.)
This week we’re revving up the engines with a little Stargate Prewatch! On deck for your viewing pleasure any time during this final week of July is the original 1994 feature film Stargate, starring Kurt Russell as Jack O’Neil and James Spader as Daniel Jackson.
Stargate was written and produced by Dean Devlin and his Centropolis Films, and directed by Roland Emmerich for a modest budget of $55 million. It was a moderate hit at the box office when it was released in October, and Devlin and Emmerich would go on to greater fame by releasing such movies as Independence Day, Godzilla, The Day After Tomorrow, 10,000 BC, and 2012. The studio made a deal with MGM to help distribute the movie, in exchange giving MGM rights to the Stargate franchise and (to their chagrin) paving the way for a TV series three years later.
Things to watch for in the movie:
- Which characters later appeared on the television series, played by the same actor? (We can think of two.)
- Which characters appeared played by a different actor? (At least five.)
- Which actors appeared on any of the television series as a different character? (At least two.)
- Forum: Talk about the movie with thousands of fans from around the world!
- Podcast: Darren and David discuss the feature film
- Movie Guide: Facts and figures, and quotes from the cast and crew
- Interview: Erick Avari (“Kasuf”)
- Video Interview: Alexis Cruz (“Skaara”)
- Gallery: Production photos from the movie
- Gallery: Nearly 2,000 high-quality screen captures
- Amazon: Buy the new 15th anniversary edition on Blu-ray
Remember: the point of the Rewatch is not just to watch everything again, but to watch it together as a fan community! So post your thoughts on your blog, on Twitter (hastag: #SGRewatch), Facebook, or over at GateWorld Forum. Write a new piece of fanfic to go along with what you’re watching, create a new piece of art, chat it up on your podcast — whatever your creative outlet is! Be sure to post a link so we can see it and share it with other Stargate fans.
Get those DVDs ready … We’ll see you back here next Monday to officially kick off the Rewatch with SG-1 Season One!