Newest
Jason
Jason
1 month ago

I always felt that the goa’uld had taken an Asguard as a host, and during the cloning process they merged, becoming more like the Asguard Loki. And using Asguard tech, they transferred their mind in to the human host.

In that way, the “grey” we see in the movie was more of a artistic rendition for the the audience, to show who was actually controlling the host.

And asguard-goa’uld hybrid.

Tristan
Tristan
Reply to  Jason

I love this answer, I think it would be an awesome Retcon for them to explain this inconsistency.

Cynical Z
Cynical Z
1 month ago

It always bugs me in sci-fi movies that all other aliens speak English. It doubly bugged me that the English-speaking Aliens never used contractions (it’s, they’re, he’s, she’ll, a bit like Data in TNG). This annoyance was even worse with Teyla in SG:A, she was in close contact constantly with humans, are we supposed to believe that the human speech patterns didn’t rub off on Teyla? Come on guys, put a bit of variety into the “Aliens” at least.

Anonymous John
Anonymous John
1 month ago

The Nox for some reason didn’t speak English. They learned it in minutes by listening to SG-1.

C.M.
C.M.
Reply to  Anonymous John

I bet the Furlings didn’t speak English either.

Sandy
Sandy
1 month ago

I always preferred the changes but still love the movie

James
Reply to  Sandy

I love the movie.They could have done much better leaving Devlin and Emerich in charge.

AsFarAsLarry
asfaraslarry
1 month ago

This was a fun post, thanks! There were a lot of things the series did better than the movie, and it boils down to it being a series and not a movie. In a movie, you can J.J. a mystery box any time you are feeling lazy inspired. The movie is over and you go your merry way. In a series, especially a genre show that has a certain type of fan as invested in world/universe building as in the characters and story, you really ought to try to explain some things and have some continuity. Or… “It’s a writer’s… Read more »

Charles
Charles
1 month ago

I tend to avoid over thinking and just enjoy the show.

Bryan
Bryan
1 month ago

In the Stargate movie Ra wasn’t anything like an Asgard.more akin to an Egyptian phaoroh.

KirKanos
KirKanos
Reply to  Bryan

In 99.9% of the movie, yes. But when he died, it is revealed as a roswell-grey-like form. Watch again.

XiKLeR
XiKLeR
1 month ago

Fact: The original cast of SG-1 is irreplaceable.

Mike
Mike
1 month ago

You missed that in the movie, Ra’s lead henchman was Anubis. The show later established Anubis as a completely separate character.

netg
netg
30 days ago
Reply to  Mike

lol no he wasn’t, anubis isn’t mentioned in the movie at all…I literally just watched it

Ed W
Ed W
1 month ago

The movie was very good and the TV series was even better. I prefer the changes made by the TV show

Jack Harrison
Jack Harrison
1 month ago

I like the movie and the series. Col ONeill he’s in charge but not real sure what’s going on hence”Carter?!”
I remember in an interview Ray Bradbury said
“It’s Science Fiction you can call them anything you want “.
This was a very fun post.

Nick
Nick
1 month ago

I don’t remember when but it was implied in the movie that you could go back through the gate through the same wormhole that brought you and in the series you had to dial back in order to return

Thomas Ward
1 month ago

Hi, thanks for the article, it was nice to remind myself about this great movie and an even greater show. Came here from Google Discover and I’m gonna stay a bit, I suppose ;)

PS. The design of Ra in the movie looks kinda like the aliens from “Fire in the Sky” (1993). As there was only a one-year difference between those two movies, maybe the same designers worked on those?

Chu Lee
Chu Lee
Reply to  Thomas Ward

The people who claim to have been abducted by aliens tend to give a similar description of what the aliens look like. So much so that this type of alien even has a name – they are referred to as “Greys”.

Ra, and then later the Asguard, are simply based off the common description of the “Grey” aliens. As were the aliens in Fire In the Sky, because that movie was based off a abduction story.

James
James
1 month ago

I’ve noticed in the pilot episode the goa’uld enter stargate command through the stargate but never redial chulock when they leave, the simply turn around and reenter the wormhole. This also happens again in short film continuum.

Tillsy
Tillsy
3 days ago
Reply to  James

Not quite – Apophis says something and does a bit of a head/eye motion toward the gate, clearly telling the Jaffa to manually dial back (using their handheld gate power device thingies)

Hurk
Hurk
1 month ago

Maybe I’m misremembering, but I thought the first time Jack explains the 2Ls to someone, he also mentions he’s NOT the same jack that originally went through the gate and that he only recently joined the program as it got close to startup.

CJ R
CJ R
Reply to  Hurk

I believe you are misremembering because in first episode “Children of the Gods” Ska’ra knows who Jack O’Neill is when they go back to Abydos because the met in the movie (just different actors) Remember they saluted O’Neill in movie and in first episode.

Last edited 1 month ago by CJ R
Gary Payne
Gary Payne
29 days ago
Reply to  CJ R

ACTOR, singular as Ska’ra is played by same actor in the film and series.

Atlantisfan360
Atlantisfan360
1 month ago

One of the most notable differences that I gathered was the Ha’tak Goa’uld ship design. In the movie the ship is a squared pyramid which allows it to land on the Giza Pyramids. In SG-1, the ships are triangular pyramids. This is most notable whenever a systemlord would land on the planet and the shape would again be the square pyramid.

Dragonriderlord
1 month ago

It is my understanding based on inferences, little clues and observation, that Ra held the position of Supreme Leader of the Goa’uld just as he did in the Egyptian pantheon. When SG-1 killed him, it triggered war between the various system lords, who had been under his thumb, for dominance before they settled on a council approach to stop their losses since they were all pretty much equal in strength. Anubis (using his ascended powers) and later Ba’al (using a time machine) both became the Supreme Leader of the Goa’uld at different times of course. This goes a long way… Read more »

Louis
Louis
1 month ago

I always put the differences down to the show being in a different universe to the film after the first quantum mirror episode. There was a missed opportunity to get Kurt Russell and James Spader in the show via the quantum mirror!

Bernadette
Bernadette
1 month ago

Definitely 1000 percent better on tv! Richard Dean Anderson made ole two LLs a great and lovable hero! Lots better than even MacGyver! Sorry, Kurt, the sense of humor made all the difference!

Joe
Joe
1 month ago

For me the Stargate movie is a movie made by Hollywood in Stargate SG1 timeline, after the Stargate Project was revealed to the world. Meaning just after Continuum.

netg
netg
30 days ago

only thing that bothered me was ra’s form and oniel (oniell)’s character change. i can accept the change of ra and retcon explanation…but oniells change from hard core to jocular doesn’t make sense… but hey the tv show is good so meh, the movie was a good if this was real what if sci fi, honestly I wish the tv series was more true to the movie….the movie really portrayed better reality imo…my alien heritage not withstanding