‘I will not rest until all Goa’uld are dead.’
The Stargate Rewatch has reached a pivotal year of Stargate SG-1: Season Eight, which is on our screens all through March! Here’s your intro to this season, including links to everything related to Season Eight on GateWorld.
The Rewatch is progressing at the reasonable pace of one season per month, or about five episodes each week. Starting in March, you’ve got all month to enjoy 20 episodes rather than 22. (Next month we’ll move on to Season Nine rather than bouncing away to the first season of Atlantis, though it aired concurrently with Season Eight.)
We want to hear from you! If you are blogging about your Rewatch, writing new fanfic, creating artwork, or doing something else related to SG-1 Season Seven, e-mail us a brief description and a link.
Learn more about the Stargate Rewatch and how you can participate here.
For the third year running, the producers believed this was SG-1‘s last year on the air. But unlike Seasons Six and Seven, they decided to give the series a more definitive ending: Earth’s two greatest foes, the Goa’uld and the Replicators, would come head-to-head and threaten to decimate every populated world in the galaxy. With the Goa’uld System Lords overthrown the Jaffa resistance movement would seize control of the planet Dakara and found the Free Jaffa Nation.
Meanwhile, Jack O’Neill took over command of the S.G.C. (much to his own chagrin), Teal’c was reunited with Ishta and saw his son married off, and Sam took charge of SG-1 — only to find herself face-to-face with her own Replicator doppelganger. And Daniel Jackson faced the Ancients, RepliCarter, Anubis (again), and perhaps the nuttiest of all fruitcakes … a beautiful thief named Vala Mal Doran.
Things to watch for this season:
- Chris Judge’s Jaffa brother
- Torri Higginson’s debut as Elizabeth Weir
- “Hans Olo”
- An Asgard without much personality
- The first appearance of Ra since the feature film
- The world’s most dangerous video game
- The return of an old Replicator and the creation of a new
- (Another) new Alpha Site
- Evidence of Lanteans in the Milky Way
- A guest appearance by the future Lois Lane
- A long-awaited fishing trip
- Forum: Official discussion threads for every episode! (The main thread for the Rewatch project is here.)
- Podcast: Darren and David discuss all of Season Eight. (If this is your first time watching, beware of thorough spoilers!)
- Episode Guide: Our handy guide to every episode of Season Eight
- Gallery: Production photos
- Gallery: Thousands of high-quality screen captures
Where to Watch?
- Amazon: Buy Season Eight on DVD (and support GateWorld)!
- Amazon: Download Season Eight episodes
- iTunes: Download Season Eight episodes
- Netflix: Online viewing for $7.99 per month
We’re taking your nominations for the following categories for the SG-1 Season Eight Awards. Use this forum thread if you want your nominations to count. One nomination for each category per person, please. (All nominations must be from Season Eight and Season Eight only!)
- Best Episode (Season Eight)
- Best Jack Moment
- Best Daniel Moment
- Best Sam Moment
- Best Teal’c Moment
- Best Team Moment
- Best Alien Race
- Best Goa’uld Villain
- Coolest Technology
- Best Guest Star (based on one specific episode)
Those “moments” can be a single moment, a line of dialogue, a scene, or even a full episode’s storyline.
Remember: The point of the Rewatch is not just to watch everything again, but to watch it together as a fan community! So post your thoughts on your blog, on Twitter (hastag: #SGRewatch), Facebook, or over at GateWorld Forum. Write a new piece of fanfic to go along with what you’re watching, create a new piece of art, chat it up on your podcast — whatever your creative outlet is! Be sure to post a link so we can see it and share it with other Stargate fans.
Come back in about two weeks to cast your ballot for the Season Eight Awards!