SEPTEMBER IS OSIRIS MONTH!
First Aired: May 17, 2002
SG-1 must come to the rescue of their once-powerful allies when the Goa’uld attack a secret Asgard laboratory.
Our rewatch of favorite moments in Stargate history continues! Each month we’ll pick a theme, and feature a key episode every week. Join us by watching the episode this week, and then head to GateWorld Forum (or posting below) to talk about it!
Curse of the Goa’uld …
- Sarah Gardner’s possession by a Goa’uld proved doubly painful for Daniel Jackson. After having lost the woman he loved, Sha’re, to the Goa’uld, his old college girlfriend opens the wrong jar and she, too, ends up under the oppression of an evil symbiote.
- Osiris was never a System Lord herself, but a lesser Goa’uld in search of more power.
- After escaping from Earth she eventually fell in with Anubis as one of his lieutenants.
- Unlike Sha’re, however, Sarah’s story has a happier ending: she’s eventually rescued and the symbiote removed.
- “Revelations” was the final episode of SG-1 to air on Showtime, before the series made the leap to the then-named SCI FI Channel. As a result, producers deliberately chose to end the season in a semi-conclusive way rather than leaving Showtime viewers with a cliffhanger.
- Season Five expanded the cast of Asgard characters beyond just Thor, including the introduction of Freyr in “Red Sky.” This episode is the one and only appearance of Heimdall, who was voiced by actress Teryl Rothery (“Janet Fraiser”).
- Heimdall was Stargate‘s first fully-realized, computer-generated character. Previously, Asgard characters were done exclusively with animatronic puppetry.
- Rothery also portrayed the character on the set, filled in later with the animated Heimall. She wore an outfit with a picture of an Asgard on her front … prompting her cast-mates to interact with Heimdall by looking at her chest.
- Despite the fact that actor Michael Shanks (“Daniel Jackson”) had been written off the show in the previous episode (“Meridian”), he’s not absent from the season finale (… and we’re not just talking about the gust of wind in the final scene). Shanks provided the voice for the character of Thor.
- After a season-long tease of a new big-bad, Anubis (David Palffy) finally makes his first appearance in this episode. His oil-slick face makes it very obvious that he is a Goa’uld unlike anything viewers had ever seen!
“Revelations” on GateWorld:
- Stargate SG-1 Season Five Podcast
- Interview with David Palffy (2004)
- Video Interview with Teryl Rothery (2009)
Rewatch “Revelations” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the “Revelations” discussion thread and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Every month we’re featuring a new theme from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the weekly episode with us join in the fun!