First Aired: March 22, 2002
The Tok’ra send Daniel Jackson to a secret meeting between the System Lords, unaware that a new power is about to attack the Tok’ra homeworld.
- “Summit” and “Last Stand” are effectively Season Five’s mid-season two-parter, a big-budget event that advances some major storylines concerning the fight against the Goa’uld. But it comes later than any other two-parter that could qualify as remotely “mid-season,” halfway through the back half (and following a record 6-month mid-season broadcast break).
- This episode brings back the Tok’ra symbiote Lantash, not seen since the death of his host Martouf in Season Four’s “Divide and Conquer.” The writers’ original plan was to bring back Martouf actor J.R. Bourne himself — but a scheduling conflict forced a rewrite to find a new host for Lantash’s send-off.
- After hints of a new big-bad, “Summit” is the episode when we finally learn his name for the very first time: Anubis, a former System Lord who was banished by his peers for crimes even they found to be unspeakable.
- Before Anubis’ name was revealed to viewers the show’s producers casually gave him the nickname “Voldemort” in press interviews — after the Harry Potter villain, of course (though before the character was popularized by Ralph Fiennes’ film portrayal). Unfortunately a reporter misheard the name, leading to several weeks of references to Stargate‘s upcoming villain as “Lord Baltimore.”
- “Summit” introduced a host of brand new Goa’uld, including Morrigan, Bastet, Svarog, Kali, and a certain someone named Baal — in addition to the return of Yu, Osiris, and Zipacna. Morrigan and Kali would rarely be mentioned again on the show; Svarog was the off-screen antagonist in “The Sentinel”; but Cliff Simon‘s portrayal as Baal ensured that he would return many, many times and become on of the show’s featured villains.
“Summit” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide
- Episode Review
- Photo Gallery
- Screencap Gallery
- Discussion Thread
- Interview with Courtenay J. Stevens (2004)
- Interview with Cliff Simon (2006)
- Interview with Carmen Argenziano (2006)
- Season Five Podcast
Rewatch “Summit” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to the “Summit” discussion thread and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Each week we’re highlighting a favorite episode from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the episode with us this week and join in the fun!