Newest
Ian
Ian
4 months ago

The heavy noise reduction and bungled audio are major turn offs. I could print my own cover to replace the erroneous Season 6 cast and gate fraud, but I can’t fix waxiness and a missing 5.1 track. For these reasons it’s a pass for me. I was planning to get the SGU box set (so long as it didn’t undergo noise reduction, still haven’t heard about that), but the bungled 5.1 is a major turn off and so I think I’m going to have to pass for that reason too. It’s a shame, because I want to support the show… Read more »

Lemondish
Lemondish
Reply to  Ian

I thought like this at first…but then I decided to buy it because I can’t get this show on better quality anywhere else.

samnjack
samnjack
4 months ago

But, it’s Stargate in HD” except it’s not. Upscaling does not make it “HD”.
Don’t support this shit.

Darren
Admin
Reply to  samnjack

Well, “larger resolution” at least. Poor man’s HD.

Gaddorm
Desha
Reply to  Darren

It’s a real shame this release isn’t what I was hoping for – but it still is an actual blu-ray release so I’m picking it up. I didn’t even know this was coming out, so thanks!

Ian
Ian
Reply to  samnjack

Here’s a secret. Almost all films VFX are composited at 2K (yes, even films like Avengers, especially those films as they are massive projects). So your 4K release is a lie. But it’s not. Upscaling is not as terrible as you make it out to be and happens all the time

Prometheus59650
GHD
Reply to  Ian

When your source material is 2K, yes, upscaling is fine.

SG-1 is not starting off with 2K masters.

SidNightwalker
SidNightwalker
2 months ago
Reply to  Ian

You literally just made all of that up in your head.

Lemondish
Lemondish
Reply to  samnjack

I can’t get Stargate in HD so this will have to do.

DavidL
DavidL
4 months ago

Here’s a realistic comparison of this “blu-ray” versus a fan HD restoration: https://pacificaoutpost.com/stargate-sg-1/

Zaid
Reply to  DavidL

Whoa! The waxed look really looks bad compared to the fan-HD version. Let’s hope for a higher quality restoration in the future (as it is possible)

Lemondish
Lemondish
Reply to  DavidL

I don’t think these are actually available anywhere, are they?

impulse
impulse
2 months ago
Reply to  Lemondish

They are. 150 euro >>

Jack
Jack
26 days ago
Reply to  impulse

Where can you get them?

Radev
Radev
4 months ago

OMG! That new big pack for 229$ with the 3 series has again 8 chevron gate on the cover!

corwin zelazney
corwin zelazney
4 months ago

Does this release increase or decrease the odds of a later remastering?

Prometheus59650
GHD

Decrease, IMHO

The only way you’ll see any better is a MAJOR investment. Someone would have to buy SG with the intent on resurrecting it.

I even would have been happy with a film remaster and an FX upscale as was just done with Babylon 5, which looks pretty good all around.

Wayne
Wayne
Reply to  GHD

I disagree. Selling a product shows there’s a market for,it and a market, again. Look at all,of,the remasters that have crowded the marketplace because of sales. If an item doesn’t sell, it isn’t blamed on the quality but based on lack of consumer interest.

SidNightwalker
SidNightwalker
2 months ago
Reply to  GHD

That’s how Hollywood does things. They don’t use logic.

Teflonrobg
4 months ago

DANIEL IS NOT ON THE COVER OF THE BOXSET!! TOTAL FAIL!! I’LL PASS!!!

Last edited 4 months ago by Teflonrobg
Wayne
Wayne
Reply to  Teflonrobg

You can create and print your own cover. Seriously, THIS is why you chose not to buy stuff?

Chris Carro
Chris Carro
Reply to  Teflonrobg

Not just Daniel ( Michael Shanks), General Hammond (Don Davis), Vala ( Claudia Black), Cameron Mitchell (Ben Browder) should have been on the cover

UKfanSG1-SGA
UKfanSG1-SGA
4 months ago

I’ll wait for a true HD remastered version if it ever comes out. This ain’t worth bothering with.

Wayne
Wayne
Reply to  UKfanSG1-SGA

I think it’s very unlikely especially if the set doesn’t sell well.

AscendedTauri
Ascended Human
4 months ago

How do you spend the time to do all 214 episodes and then get the box art wrong? Who the hell reviews these decisions?

Wayne
Wayne
Reply to  Ascended Human

Different people.

Michael
Michael
4 months ago

The fact that they put Corin Nemec on the cover kind of says it all. I liked his character but he definitely doesn’t belong on the cover. It’s amazing that no one caught that.

There should be a quality control step in place to catch some of these audio/visual issues. It’s a shame that it seems like quality wasn’t a big concern to the folks making this happen. MGM has made some really questionable decisions over the years; add this to the list.

SidNightwalker
SidNightwalker
2 months ago
Reply to  Michael

It’s because they didn’t care. At all.

Lorna Dune
Lorna Dune
4 months ago

Frankly, these Blu-rays are a big mess and not worth the money. Save your dollars and keep your DVDs until they do a better job in the future. This is one big botch-job.

Lemondish
Lemondish
Reply to  Lorna Dune

I didn’t have the DVDs and couldn’t get them in my area from a reputable source, so I bought this.

I also know MGM isn’t planning on doing anything with this in the future and I really didn’t want to have to watch it on the terrible netflix quality.

Luke
Luke
4 months ago

Shame they applied so much DNR when the TV broadcast doesn’t have it.

ViRGE
Reply to  Luke

I can see why they did it, though. The first couple of seasons, which were filmed on 16mm film stock, are especially rough when it comes to noise. For a distributor doing a slapdash job, it seems like a no-brainer at first…

Zenophite
Corvinus

pass

Lemondish
Lemondish
4 months ago

I bought it, because the DVDs somehow look 10 times worse than this, with audio to match. It may not be the best version possible, but it does appear to be by far the best version widely available. If I want more stargate to happen, I’m going to show there’s demand.

Luke
Luke
4 months ago

Speaking od DNR it would be good to add some comparison with the original (TV) masters to better understand what was done.

Darren
Admin
Reply to  Luke

This one (from the Czech HD broadcaster) is upscaled (not original picture), but probably without the extra DNR.

ViRGE
4 months ago

Darren, thank you for mentioning the bit about the extended cut of Threads at the start, rather than burying that bit of info. While this makes the box set all the more conflicting, it’s huge news that someone is finally releasing an HD version of what’s essentially been a missing episode.

Prometheus59650
GHD
4 months ago

Honestly, as substandard as this is, it’s probably not going to get any better.

And it has to be some improvement, visually, over the original DVDs that, at 5 episodes a disc, were ridiculously compressed.

Matt
Matt
4 months ago

I bought the full set of SG-1, Atlantis, and Universe. I’ve watched various episodes from all 3 shows and so far I’m happy with my investment. I already have the MGM dvd’s, and they are almost unwatchable on current gen TVs. I’m surprised this release ever saw the light of day, with physical media sales dropping due to streaming. Even with the audio issues, the Bluray picture is an improvement over what was already available on DVD, plus this takes up a tenth of the space on my shelf. Is it perfect? Clearly not. But Stargate isn’t exactly a moneymaker… Read more »

SidNightwalker
SidNightwalker
2 months ago
Reply to  Matt

Oh please, the video has all kinds of serious issues. That’s not an upgrade.

Pez
Pez
3 months ago

Much as I would like to buy this edition, I can’t. I live in the UK. Amazon.com reports that “Your selected delivery location is beyond seller’s shipping coverage for this item. Please choose a different delivery location or purchase from another seller.” I mailed VEI, asking where I could get a copy from (as they don’t ship outside USA & Canada), and just got the reply: “Thank you for contacting VEI. VEI will only ship with the Region territory (North America).” This completely ignored my question about where they would be available from. Does anybody know where I can buy… Read more »

Randolph Lalonde
3 months ago

I understand that some people don’t have access to another version of the series so they have to buy this one, but I have the old MGM DVD sets. I’ve ripped them all to my personal server and they get upscaled on my home theatre system. I find the screenshots of the new Blu-Ray version look too soft, waxy is a good term for it. The sound on the DVD version I have has always been great, so I’m going to skip this one. I am really disappointed that this isn’t the Blu-Ray edition we’ve been waiting for, especially since… Read more »

Last edited 3 months ago by Randolph Lalonde
SidNightwalker
SidNightwalker
2 months ago

Heh, 140 dollars for an upscale. Nah, I don’t think so. You get stuff on Blu Ray primarily for the improvement of the VIDEO. This is an utter failure. Complete waste of time.