‘We’re not supposed to be here…’
It’s the final leg of the Stargate Rewatch! For the past 15 months thousands of fans from all over the world have been enjoying every episode and movie from the Stargate franchise all over again. In November we’re dialing up the ninth chevron and stepping through to the Destiny, with Season One of Stargate Universe.
The show premiered on Syfy Channel in 2009, introducing not only a new cast of characters and a new mission but also a very different style of Stargate on television: darker (both thematically and visually), hand-held, with characters more flawed and less heroic. For some it wasn’t Stargate enough; for others, it was the first Stargate they were actually interested in watching.
We want to hear from you! If you are blogging about your Rewatch, writing new fanfic, creating artwork, or doing something else related to SGU Season One, e-mail us a brief description and a link.
Learn more about the Stargate Rewatch and how you can join us for the final weeks of the fandom community event. Here’s your intro to the first season of SGU, with links to everything related on GateWorld.
As SGU opens Earth has been conducting an extensive research project on a rather unique planet — one with a rich naquadria core that is tied into the Stargate, capable of generating unimaginable power. Dr. Nicholas Rush has been unable to crack the code to activate the gate’s elusive ninth chevron. But when an upstart young video gamer is brought in to offer a new perspective, the gate is opened. On the other side is the Ancient deep-space vessel Destiny, sent unmanned to a distant galaxy long ago.
The Icarus Base’s compliment of military personnel and civilians are forced through the gate to the ship when the Lucian Alliance launch a surprise attack, and the rest, as they say, is history.
As the refugees fight to survive and hope for rescue, they struggle with still more problems: a ship they can’t control, a hostile alien race trying to seize Destiny, and what looks like an inevitable coup among their own people.
SGU Season One on GateWorld:
- Forum: Official discussion threads for every episode! (The main thread for the Rewatch project is here.)
- Podcast: Darren and David discuss all of Season One. (If this is your first time watching, beware of thorough spoilers!)
- Episode Guide: Our handy guide to every episode
- Gallery: Production photos
- Gallery: Thousands of high-quality screen captures
- Cast Interviews (2009-2010): David Blue (2009) – Elyse Levesque – Brian J. Smith – Alaina Huffman – David Blue (2010)
- Crew Interviews: Brad Wright & Robert C. Cooper – Joel Goldsmith
- Stargate Universe: First Impressions
- GateWorld’s “Air” Pre-Review
- Podcast: On the Eve of SGU
- News: Quadriplegic character raises ethical quandaries
- Editorial: Sex, Lies and Body-Swapping – What Sci-Fi Does Best
Where to Watch?
- Amazon: Buy Season One on Blu-ray and support GateWorld!
- Amazon: Buy Season One on DVD
- Amazon: Download Season One episodes
- iTunes: Download Season One episodes in HD
We’re now taking your nominations for the following categories for the SGU Season One Awards. Use this forum thread if you want your nominations to count. One nomination for each category per person, please. (All nominations must be from SGU Season One and Season One only!)
- Best Episode (Season One)
- Best Nicholas Rush Moment
- Best Everett Young Moment
- Best Matthew Scott Moment
- Best T.J. Johansen Moment
- Best Ronald Greer Moment
- Best Eli Wallace Moment
- Best Chloe Armstrong Moment
- Best Camille Wray Moment
- Best David Telford Moment
- Best Supporting Character
- Coolest Technology
- Best Adversary
- Best Stargate Crossover
- Best Guest Star (based on one specific Season One episode)
Those “moments” can be a single moment, a line of dialogue, a scene, or in some cases even a full episode’s storyline.
Remember: The point of the Rewatch is not just to watch everything again, but to watch it together as a fan community! So post your thoughts on your blog, on Twitter (hashtag: #SGRewatch), Facebook, or over at GateWorld Forum. Write a new piece of fanfic to go along with what you’re watching, create a new piece of art, chat it up on your podcast — whatever your creative outlet is! Be sure to post a link so we can see it and share it with other Stargate fans.
Come back in a couple of weeks to cast your ballot for this month’s SGU Awards!