SEPTEMBER IS OSIRIS MONTH!
First Aired: March 22 & March 29, 2002
The Tok’ra send Daniel Jackson undercover on a secret meeting between the System Lords, unaware that a new power is about to attack the Tok’ra homeworld. But Daniel’s arrival is complicated by the arrival of a surprise guest who knows his real identity.
Our rewatch of favorite moments in Stargate history continues! Each month we’ll pick a theme, and feature a key episode every week. Join us by watching the episode this week, and then head to GateWorld Forum (or posting below) to talk about it!
Curse of the Goa’uld …
- Sarah Gardner’s possession by a Goa’uld proved doubly painful for Daniel Jackson. After having lost the woman he loved, Sha’re, to the Goa’uld, his old college girlfriend opens the wrong jar and she, too, ends up under the oppression of an evil symbiote.
- Osiris was never a System Lord herself, but a lesser Goa’uld in search of more power.
- After escaping from Earth she eventually fell in with Anubis as one of his lieutenants.
- Unlike Sha’re, however, Sarah’s story has a happier ending: she’s eventually rescued and the symbiote removed.
“Summit” / “Last Stand” Facts:
- In addition to Osiris’ hotly anticipated return the Season Five two-parter brings back the Tok’ra symbiote Lantash, not seen since the death of his host Martouf in Season Four’s “Divide and Conquer.” The writers’ original plan was to bring back Martouf actor J.R. Bourne himself — but a scheduling conflict forced a rewrite to find a new host for Lantash’s send-off.
- After several hints of a new big-bad on the show, “Summit” is the episode when we finally learn his name for the first time: Anubis, a former System Lord who was banished by the others for crimes even they found to be unspeakable.
- Before Anubis’ name was revealed to viewers the show’s producers casually gave him the nickname “Voldemort” in press interviews — after the Harry Potter villain, of course (though before the character became more widely known through Ralph Fiennes’ film portrayal). Unfortunately a reporter misheard the name, leading to several weeks of references to Stargate‘s new upcoming villain as “Lord Baltimore.”
- “Summit” introduced a host of brand new Goa’uld, including Morrigan, Bastet, Svarog, Kali, and a certain someone named Baal — in addition to the return of Yu, Osiris, and Zipacna. Morrigan and Kali would rarely be mentioned again on the show; Svarog was the off-screen antagonist in “The Sentinel”; but Cliff Simon‘s portrayal as Baal ensured that he would return many, many times and become on of the show’s featured villains.
- The scene with the System Lords feasting on their fellow Goa’uld symbiotes took over an hour to shoot. The actors couldn’t actually consume the rather unappealing props they kept biting into … so two props people were on standby to rush in with buckets every time the director yelled “Cut!”
- The ending of “Last Stand” is left deliberately ambiguous: Jaffa foot soldiers are closing in on Lt. Elliott, who secretly conceals symbiote poison capable of killing them all. The plan was to use it at the Stargate, to clear a way home for SG-1. Writer Joseph Mallozzi, however, later said that Elliott was taken to Zipacna’s ship and used it there.
The Goa’uld (played by Kevin Durand) was never seen or mentioned again on the show, though his death was never established (nor even implied) in on-screen canon.
“Summit” / “Last Stand” on GateWorld:
- Episode Guide (Part 1 | Part 2)
- Episode Review (Part 1 | Part 2)
- Photo Gallery
- Screencap Gallery (Part 1 | Part 2)
- Discussion Forum (Part 1 | Part 2)
- Stargate SG-1 Season Five Podcast
- Interview with Courtenay J. Stevens (2004)
- Interview with Cliff Simon (2006)
- Interview with Carmen Argenziano (2006)
- Interview with Michael Shanks (2004)
Rewatch “Summit” and “Last Stand” this week! Then post your comments below, or head over to “Summit” and “Last Stand” discussion threads and see what people were saying back in the day. What are your favorite moments?
Every month we’re featuring a new theme from Stargate’s 17 seasons. Watch the weekly episode with us join in the fun!